Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset vs. ATI 9600

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
hello everyone, that's again me. i wanna play a game called collapse: devastated world. you probably haven't heard much of this game, since it's russian one and i think there should be english copy of it. but that's not the question. ok, on other forums i've read that it's worthless of trying to play this game, but i want if i can. i didn't find much info. i wrote the message to the creators, but well, i'm not sure if they answer to me on Monday or at least that week. ok, on the site (yes, it's torrents site, but i'm there just to get the info) it says that in order to play the game, the video card has to have pixel shaders 2.0 and 128 mb of video memory. i have the minimum system configuration (if everything required is listed), but why did the people on other forums tell me it's worthless to play this game? :eek: :( :ouch: i don't have hw t&l (hope you know what's that) and vertex shaders. well, the reason i'm asking is that ati's 9600 has 2 vertex shader processors, while intel's doesn't. the same about hw t&l. please respond me. thank you

Solution
People, seriously...

If you are getting a dedicated GPU, get a semi-decent one, and not one thats totally obsolete. Something like a ATI 4670/NVIDIA 9500 would be a huge upgrade for under $100.

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
haha i suggest you just upgrade your computer or build a new computer, the game probably wont work, even if it works it'll be laggy as hell and you wont be able to play it.

integrated graphics lol..need a video card buddy..go to newbuilt systems section..for a new computer or a upgrade.

The G31 is pretty crappy. It basically has one shader that does both vertex and pixel shading. Of course much of the work is offloaded to the CPU. Anyway the 9600 should be better, but you're talking about going from 2fps to 4fps. Well o.k maybe not that bad. Anyway the 9600 may be able to play that game on low settings, but you're better off just buying a decent card.

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
well, the reason i'm asking is that tomb raider: legend works just fine on my g33/g31. maybe the card is not so bad? also, according to the chart, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#Table_of_GMA_graphics_cores_and_chipsets , the g33/g31 have vertex shaders, but http://www.systemrequirementslab.comreferrer/srtest says i don't have those. is it because i don't have HARDWARE vertex shaders? if not, then i don't have the most important element. if yes, then is hw t&l the same as vertex shader? i just wanna know. thank you

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
it's not obsolete if u really wanted to know about it - it's cheap mobo, it was cost about 75 bucks in the shop i repaired my computer. in january. now i guess it's about 40. at that time i didn't know how to build computers yet, that's it. if i did, i'd build a new and good system, believe me.

redwine01

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
miha its not really that much bad mobo dont worry. that mobo does its job pretty much ok in its price range. well yes the game probably will be laggy or dont even start because the video card in g31 is not really that much good. Its pretty ok card for beginner players but maybe the requirement for that game is higher than the one in ur mobo i never heard of the game thats why i cant tell u in details. But integrated graphics cards are weak to run games and many games dont support integrated graphics cards. thats why u may face problem running the game. as the gma3100 doesnt support hardware accelarated vertex shaders many games will have problem in it. If the systemrequirementlab telling u that u dont have the minimum(not recommanded) settings to run the game then there is a high chance that the game wont start in ur pc.

And if u want to upgrade ur graphics card go with nvidia 9600gso which is less than $60 but runs games much smoothly