Question Intel G4900T is working but not i7-9700k ?

Dec 13, 2022
Current Specs:

Intel Celeron g4900t (test cpu)
Gigabyte Aorous Elite z390 rev 1.0 Bios F10
32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RAM
M.2. 970 EVO SSD 1TB
MSI 2080 RTX

Cpu in question: Intel i7 9700k

Tried everything to get this system to boot. Finally was able to after many different tries and configurations. Came to find out finally it was the CPU that was keeping the system from even powering on even in a breadboard state with just cpu, cpu cooler, and 1 stick memory.

I later bought a low end cpu to just update the bios because I thought maybe the 9700k wasn't on the compatibility list. The bios version before update was F9 which was after the F7 bios version requirement for the 9700k.

With the Celeron pc the systems powers on and boots fine, but with the 9700k I just get a quick cpu led light and fans spin for less than a sec then system turns off.

Is there anything wrong with the CPU ?

IYwilwX.jpg

dP2lIcq.jpg

Current Specs:

Intel Celeron g4900t (test cpu)
Gigabyte Aorous Elite z390 rev 1.0 Bios F10
32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RAM
M.2. 970 EVO SSD 1TB
MSI 2080 RTX

Cpu in question: Intel i7 9700k

Tried everything to get this system to boot. Finally was able to after many different tries and configurations. Came to find out finally it was the CPU that was keeping the system from even powering on even in a breadboard state with just cpu, cpu cooler, and 1 stick memory.

I later bought a low end cpu to just update the bios because I thought maybe the 9700k wasn't on the compatibility list. The bios version before update was F9 which was after the F7 bios version requirement for the 9700k.

With the Celeron pc the systems powers on and boots fine, but with the 9700k I just get a quick cpu led light and fans spin for less than a sec then system turns off.

Are there anything wrong with processor.

IYwilwX.jpg

dP2lIcq.jpg
Unless you can see damage you move the cpu to a different mobo or get another 9700k and test on your mobo.

Do you have another psu for a quick test?

Dec 13, 2022
Unless you can see damage you move the cpu to a different mobo or get another 9700k and test on your mobo.

Do you have another psu for a quick test?

The current PSU is brand new. Old one I was using a EVGA 650 g3.

Damage can be internal.

Btw, nothing lasts for forever, even CPU.
Better question is: Where did you get the i7-9700K CPU?
The 9700K was from a ASUS STRIX z390i motherboard from a previous build I did back in 2019.

I wanted to move the system to a new chassis, and after the transfer that's when everything didn't work anymore. I might have caused internal damage to cpu somehow? Shorted? I tried breadboarding the 9700k with the z390i same result of not powering on. That's when I bought a new motherboard, and eventually the new psu.

Looks like I need a new 9700K?

Dec 13, 2022
ESD (electrostatic discharge) is very much a thing.

Looks like it.

If you still have that MoBo, try the Core i7 in there and look if it works?

I did fail to mention I switched cpu coolers in the process as well. During that transition I probably shorted the cpu.

I will try the z390i with other cooler later this afternoon to see if that would work.

For current price of 9700k, should I just go with 12 or 13 gen but keep my ddr 4 dimms. If used for 1440p gaming?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
For current price of 9700k, should I just go with 12 or 13 gen but keep my ddr 4 dimms. If used for 1440p gaming?

Z390 chipset doesn't support anything newer than 9th gen. So, if you go with 12/13th gen, you're also looking towards new MoBo.

For 2K gaming, it more comes down to GPU performance than CPU, since most games are GPU bound. Here, going with new CPU matters little. That is, unless you game CPU bound games (e.g Cities:Skylines, Sid Meier's Civilization series).

What is the brand new PSU? you said you moved from a EVGA 650w G3, does the new PSU have provisions for the 8+4 cpu power? Unless it says in the manual that you dont need the extra 4 pin, i would plug it in. Manufactures dont add plugs to boards just because they feel like it, it serves a purpose.

Dec 13, 2022
What is the brand new PSU? you said you moved from a EVGA 650w G3, does the new PSU have provisions for the 8+4 cpu power? Unless it says in the manual that you dont need the extra 4 pin, i would plug it in. Manufactures dont add plugs to boards just because they feel like it, it serves a purpose.

The new PSU is a Corsair RM850x. It has provisions for the 8 + 4 cpu power. I tried the 9700k with both connectors. The system failed to power on with both connected.

Dec 13, 2022
When I went from a i5-9500k to the i9-9900k I had to do a clear CMOS. Did you try clearing CMOS?
I’ll try that. Not sure if I cleared cmos properly. Maybe cmos battery needs replaced?

will revert back to known good system with the 9900k minus the chassis. Including old cpu cooler I was using (Corsair h100i rgb platinum) and just 1 stick of ram in each slot one at a time to test 9700k again.

Dec 13, 2022
Tried previous working system with 9700k and z390i. It won't power on with cpu in socket. Without cpu motherboard powers up. With cpu in socket I get a clicking noise from the PSU. Looks like to be cpu?

Reset the cmos multiple times, and used both dimm slots no power to motherboard with cpu in socket.

I see some thermal paste may have got underneath the heat spreader of the cpu, but not the cpu contacts underneath. Is their anything there that could cause trouble?

VH3lnhS.jpg

KLeeURU.jpg

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
With cpu in socket I get a clicking noise from the PSU. Looks like to be cpu?

With CPU not working in 2 separate MoBos (including in the one it used to work in), it's safe to assume CPU is toast.

What does anyone think about these markings I found near bottom of cpu?

Looks like residue from thermal paste, that has gotten under the CPU.