Intel Gets Green Light for $4 Billion Irish Chip Plant

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Texas is unwilling to give Intel any sort of tax break at all. Intel actually purchased a HUGE chunk of real estate in Texas and was going to build the research and development facilities there until Texas said the company couldn't have any tax breaks at all.Then we built Ronler Acres in Oregon and the rest is history. Texas screwed themselves out of nearly a billion dollars in tax revenue annually.[/citation]

there is a company called "texas instruments"...
this might have a bearing on that tax incentive.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]A company of that size deserves no more tax breaks then they actually get.Im not sure how somehow a for profit company expects tax payers to give insentives[/citation]

"for profit" is the highest status and most socially valuable any person/entity can ever achieve. You are the lowest and should be taxed the most. Your comment is the most offensive thing I have ever seen on Tom's Hardware.

decepticons2

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
I would swear they already had a decent size intel office/set up near shannon airport. You can't miss it when you go to the airport. Was there five years ago.

Also why wouldn't a company want to strengthen there bond with European consumers. You also don't know what future shipping costs might be. A little fore thought could save millions down the road.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]"for profit" is the highest status and most socially valuable any person/entity can ever achieve. You are the lowest and should be taxed the most. Your comment is the most offensive thing I have ever seen on Tom's Hardware.[/citation]
Capitalism isn't a stable economic system. Its prone to collapse & rebuild over & over, look at the history books.

That whole "We are the 99%" and Occupy Wall-Street movement completely went over your head didn't it?
The fact they are uber-rich is exactly why they should be taxed harder. If you look at it percentage wise, large companies and particularly rich individuals (you know, the 1%) are taxed less than the middle class.
Plus, us at the lower end of the spectrum don't have as many ways to dodge taxes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Irish_arrangement
Who knows, that could be a particularly large reason why Intel are setting up shop in Ireland.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Anyone care to guess WHY it is being built in Ireland? Public corporation hve a LEGAL responsibility to maximize profits for their shareholders i.e. minimize taxes, if they don't, they will be sued by their shareholders.

G

To all the people complaining about outsourcing: Intel manufactures over 75% of their chips inside the US, despite having over 75% of those chips sold outside the US. All of their leading edge fabs are located in Oregan & Arizona. They have a single fab in Ireland (being upgraded), one in Israel, and a smaller older-node fab in China which is a token gesture to be allowed entry to the Chinese market.

Outsourcing chips to low labor cost countries simply doesn't make any economic sense. These huge $10-billion+ actually have very few manual labor jobs. Taxes, capex, and most importantly IP security are the main factors in selecting where to manufacture chips. No semiconductor company trusts their leading-edge tech to China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_manufacturing_sites

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]wintermint[/nom]Be nice if we stop outsourcing to different country to save money. The US economy would have benefit from this[/citation]

Not sure why you were voted down.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]MDis82[/nom]To all the people complaining about outsourcing: Intel manufactures over 75% of their chips inside the US, despite having over 75% of those chips sold outside the US. All of their leading edge fabs are located in Oregan & Arizona. They have a single fab in Ireland (being upgraded), one in Israel, and a smaller older-node fab in China which is a token gesture to be allowed entry to the Chinese market.Outsourcing chips to low labor cost countries simply doesn't make any economic sense. These huge $10-billion+ actually have very few manual labor jobs. Taxes, capex, and most importantly IP security are the main factors in selecting where to manufacture chips. No semiconductor company trusts their leading-edge tech to China.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_ [...] ring_sites[/citation]

Make it 100% and I'll be happy. Americans deserve American jobs by an American company. If you vote me down, you live either outside the U.S. or have no idea how bad the U.S. economy is.

txsouthpaw

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Texas is unwilling to give Intel any sort of tax break at all. Intel actually purchased a HUGE chunk of real estate in Texas and was going to build the research and development facilities there until Texas said the company couldn't have any tax breaks at all.Then we built Ronler Acres in Oregon and the rest is history. Texas screwed themselves out of nearly a billion dollars in tax revenue annually.[/citation]

Texas owed/owes nothing to Intel. Part of the problem in this country is that "private enterprise" expects subsidies and gets them. In the meantime, they fail to provide the jobs they promise and fund trade groups and lobbyists to advance privatize-everything "free market" policies. What these corporations really want is socialized risk and privatized gain. In Texas, if you want tax subsidies, all you have to do is make a large contribution to Pretty D!ck Perry's re-election campaign. After drastically cutting funding for education, Texas saw fit to gift $15 Million to Apple because they obviously need the help.
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]Be nice if we stop outsourcing to different country to save money. The US economy would have benefit from this :Correct me if i'm wrong but i don't believe their has been a CPU plant in the U.S. in over 20 years. The cost of a chip made here would be over a thousand dollars for the lowest grade chip.[/citation]
Intel just invested over $5 Billion in their Chandler, AZ facility.

twelve25

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jezzjc[/nom]Because f*ck other countries economies...[/citation]

It's a US company. They should be helping out their own country first. The US economy is still pretty crappy in terms of good jobs.

I suppose people from other countries would prefer that companies started locally employ local people if at all possible.

G

They are a company. They want to make a profit. Just like you want money, they want money.

As I'm sure we all have done... If I can get an small item on amazon for 10 dollars cheaper than at a brick and mortar store. I will do it.

A company will/can/should do the same thing. Rather than whining about where they decide to spend their money perhaps as a people and gov't we should encourage businesses to invest here.

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]Anyone care to guess WHY it is being built in Ireland? Public corporation hve a LEGAL responsibility to maximize profits for their shareholders i.e. minimize taxes, if they don't, they will be sued by their shareholders.[/citation]
That is actually not true. The SEC does have requirements for accurate reporting etc. but none of them require a company to actually attempt to make a profit.
Most share holders want a ROI and to deliver this a company must turn a profit; so board members pursue a profit in order to deliver an ROI and keep investor interest.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]oxiide[/nom]Much of America's economic problems are tied to Europe's economic problems and aside from stuff like this, there's absolutely nothing we can do about it. Jobs in Europe are good for us, too. Besides, I don't know how closely you follow this, but Ireland is one of the worst-hit European nations (~15% unemployment)—much worse off than we are here in the US.[/citation]

america and europe have this one major problem in common, when opening free trade with other countries they all need to be on an even playing ground as far as standards of living, once you create a major weak standard of living into the field we wind up where we are at today economically.
go read this:http://www.epi.org/publication/briefingpapers_pntr_china/

[citation][nom]manofchalk[/nom]Trying to come up with a joke on Irish Intel chips being lucky, cant think of anything...[/citation] how's this: " Ireland! ... with the luck of the irish they'll overclock, not everything outside of scotland is c-R-R-Rap " ?

Angry Bellic

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
I hope Intel will focus on more power and not on less power and more efficiency in the upcoming Haswell range of processors. However, If that's the case then I will stick on to my Coer i7 3770K.

Status
Not open for further replies.