Intel H61 Express motherboard H61M-P23 (B3) component upgrade recomendations

chrischaytor1990

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
Hi i Made this forum to better the over all outcome of my low-end CPU build

I'm trying to preemptively map out how this motherboard should look at the absolute best it can be not only to act as a gaming rig but as a workstation as well

Current Specifications

CPU=i3-2100 @3.1GHZ
Ram=4GB DDR3
GPU=Nvidia Geforce 210 1GB
PSU 400w
MOBO=intel h61 express mobo "H61M-P23 (B3)"
HDD's= 2 x 250GB

below are some topics I'm looking for some expert information on regarding the highest capabilities of my MOBO

-CPU Upgrade=Sandy Bridge Vs. Ivy Bridge
--If Sandy Bridge Wins-(i5-2550k vs i7-2770k vs Xeon-E3-1290)
--If Ivy Bridge Wins-(i5-3570k vs i7-3770k vs Xeon-E3-1290v2)
---Things of note to consider---

-CPU/RAM Compatibility (only 2 RAM slots 4Gb/slot max so probably irrelevant)

Sandy bridge supports up to 1333MHZ DDR3 Ram

Ivy Bridge supports Up To 1600MHZ DDR3 Ram

-Architecture (all compatible CPU's are relatively old and I'm unsure if the following statements apply to my build)
(My Motherboard is using Sandy Bridge Bios now, upgrading to Ivy Bridge would require a irreversible Bios update)

Sandy bridge shows better gaming performance over all (i intend to game)

Ivy Bridge shows better performance with tools for developers (i intend to develop)

(Following is for the Ivy Bridge CPU's)
i5-3570 doesn't use hyper threading which will result in slower processing but could actually avoid performance drag in a select amount of video games

i7-3770 uses hyperthreading which offers faster processes but could hinder gaming performance in a small amount of titles

Xeon -E3-1290-V2 although more powerful than the i7-3770 at a lower wattage (wattage isn't a concern of mine) seem to be rated for server motherboards more than desktop motherboards i only placed them on this list because of the 3 ivy bridge processors this one doesnt have an integrated GPU and i feel this directly effected the rating on this processor and if that is the case the small difference in performance across all comparison sites between the 3 CPU's would be remedied by using a dedicated GPU which i intend to do anyways making this processor ultimately better than the i7-3770 but this CPU also uses hyperthreading which could make the Xeon-E3-1290-V2 and the i7-3770 a worse choice than the i5-3570

*** All information on CPU's was gathered through a series of benchmarking statistics from various data bases along with the actual specification pages to help confirm any new information

-HDD vs SSD(Unsure of the quality of SSD's available also unsure about booting SSD from PCI-e)
--if SSD wins--SATA Vs. PCI-e x1 + PCI-e x1 to PCI-e x4/x8/x16 riser

-Empty PCIE x1 uses(more curious about the obscure drives i can install through this than extra usbs or display ports)

-upgrade from "GTX 1050 TI" To "_________" after new CPU upgrade or not
--If I should and the newest GPU available isn't your answer please explain as to why the model you recommend is the highest i should go
--If i shouldn't please keep in mind i have other towers that will accept the GTX 1050 TI and im willing to buy a GPU even just 1 single step better in performance

-Recommended PSU wattage for finished product (low-strain/long-life)

-scenarios when PCI-e 2.0 x 16 wasn't enough for PCI-e 3.0 X 16 bandwidth(I'm Particularly curious about high end GPU's, WIFI cards and SSD's specifically with the use of a riser/converter)

thanks in advance for any input to my series of questions i will be checking in periodically

comments about the age of any parts in question aren't wanted I'm fully aware of my technological disabilities

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador