Intel HD, 2000 or discrete for video playback

seamaster222

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Hello everyone.

Im building a new system mainly for video playback. Needs to deliver the best video quality.
Originally I was going to build an Intel i3 with HD 2000 or 3000 and install a low or mid range discrete video card. I wonder if it would be better to just install an i5 with HD 4000. Would the HD 4000 give you a better video quality Vs let's say a GeForce 430?

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

cl-scott

Honorable
The quality of video playback is going to be impacted far more by the quality of the video encode than the video card. If you try and take some 320x240 video and blow it up to 1080p, it's going to be a blocky mess no matter what you do.

Your choice of video card is unlikely to have any real significant impact on the video playback quality.

shuvamgamer

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Are you kidding,video playback doesnt depend upon GPU.A i3 processor with intel HD Graphics 2000 can handle HD format(1080p) flawlessly.I suggest you to get an 3rd generation ivy bridge processor i3 processor which comes with faster intel HD Graphics 2500.but i am serious that intel HD 2000 will be damn good choice if you are in favor of saving money

I would go with Intel's HD 2500 / HD 4000 over the HD 2000 / HD 3000.

The HD 2000 / HD 3000 has a known issue when playing back video with a frame rate of 23.976 (basically all movies). It's not a big issue, but there have been quite a few people who complains about slight video stuttering. However, most people do not notice it. Without getting technical, it basically has to do with the fact that 23.976 frames per second does not come close to dividing easily into 60Hz (the frequency at which the monitor operates at and the number of times per second the video card / core sends signals to the monitor).

The Intel HD 2500 / HD 4000 graphic core in the Ivy Bridge CPUs have resolved that issue. The problem is that means you will need to buy a quad core i5 CPU to either on of those graphic cores. For your intended purpose I would say a quad core CPU is overkill. Ivy Bridge i3 CPUs will be released in the Fall, but only you can decide if they are worth waiting for.