Intel HD 4600 Overclock... How far can I got with the voltage?

DavidVioMC

Honorable
Apr 25, 2016
Recently I have liquid metal my HP Probook 640 G1 and I have 23C tempture drop which opened some room for overclocking. I decided to overclock my HD 4600 to it's limit, I went from 1150Mhz stock speed to 1450Mhz with extra 0.085v.

I tried pushing it to 1500Mhz but it seems to crash in first 15 seconds of benchmarking, I tried applying more and more voltage, 0.005v at a time and it appears the more I apply the longer it will survive the benchmark before crashing but now I have gotten to the point where it crashes at 1500Mhz with 0.100v. How far can I got with the voltage before I run into the risk of frying the chip? Thanks

InvalidError

Titan
I wouldn't bother pushing it any further due to limited CPU and VRM cooling, and likely limited VRM output capacity headroom. Getting limited extra performance, possibly for only a limited time before the CPU/IGP/VRM deteriorate and can no longer accommodate the OC, isn't worth shaving years off an otherwise still perfectly usable laptop's life.

If you want to get into more than non-trivial gaming, you'll have to either get a PC or at least a laptop with discrete graphics. No amount of overclocking is going to give you anything resembling modern entry-level discrete graphics performance. The most powerful IGP on the market today is the Ryzen 2400G and that's still only comparable to a GT1030.

DavidVioMC

Honorable
Apr 25, 2016

I plan to upgrade the CPU from i5 4210M that is in it right now to i7 4200M in very near future with GTX 950/960 E-GPU, this is why the life span is not really on my priority list. I just want to squeez as much performance out of this chip while I can, I have a watercooled i5 2500k with SLI GTX 670's as my main rig, so if I want to run something that this laptop can't, I just go to my desktop. This laptop runs CS:GO on medium settings at 60fps very smoothly and Fortnite on low to medium settings at 60fps too and gaining those extra 5-10fps would be fine by me, it's more of a temporary thing than anything.