Intel HD Graphics Suddenly Stopped Working

eschooche

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
I've recently encountered a problem with my Intel HD Graphics 3000.

To provide some background: I am using an Intel Core i5-2500k, an Asus P8Z77V-LK, and an Nvidia GTX 560ti. What I'm attempting to do is run three monitors (*not* for gaming)- two off of the 560ti and a third off of the Intel HD 3000. I was able to successfully set this up three weeks ago by enabling the iGPU multi-monitor field on my BIOS (see: http://i.imgur.com/OhptmKm.png). This prevented the motherboard from disabling the iGPU on boot. To get this to work on boot, I also had to install the Intel HD Graphics driver (152815). Before installing the driver, I could change the first BIOS setting seen in the above screenshot to either boot to my graphics card or the iGPU, but not run both concurrently. Anyways, after installing the driver, all three monitors worked, and all was well in the world.

Unfortunately, a recurring issue I've had with my motherboard struck this morning. Every week(ish), my computer will have to attempt booting ~3-5 times before it will POST. Usually, it will then display an error that says something about overclocking (I can't replicate the error, so I don't have the exact text. It's odd because I have not overclocked my CPU (although I do the GPU Boost switch physically switched on on the motherboard)). This is fixed by resetting the BIOS to the default values. In the past, this has never been an issue, but now that I have the iGPU multi-monitor field enabled, it has wreaked havoc on my system.

As was expected, only the two monitors plugged into the 560ti came up after loading the default settings, but, I had to leave for the day and decided I would fix it this evening. When I returned, I thought I would simply have to reenable the earlier described field to get the three monitors to work. Unfortunately, enabling the field did not seem to do anything.

Thinking it possible that my Intel HD graphics driver was somehow coincidentally lost/messed up, I made the decision to uninstall and reinstall. This is when things took a real turn for the worse. When I went to install it (even from the same files I had used three weeks prior), I got an error stating: "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software." After reading online that this is known to occur sometimes with the .zip version of the driver, I downloaded the .exe. Again, I was met with the same error.

I next tried to to set my primary display to the "iGPU" option in the BIOS. When I initially setup this configuration three weeks ago, these loaded the single monitor I had plugged into the iGPU at minimum resolution (as there was no graphics driver). This time, however, it seemed to take a second or two longer (I presume looking for the monitor connected to the iGPU) but then loaded the GTX560ti BIOS. Windows proceeded to load the two monitors pluged into the 560ti.

At this point, it's like the intel graphics do not even exist, enabled or not. Is it possible they have some how gone bad at a hardware level? I've tested both the VGA and DVI ports on the motherboard with three different monitors. None of the configurations work.

I'm stumped. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

eschooche

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Just got the error message described on boot again. It says "Overclocking failed" even though I'm not overclocking and then you just have to enter the BIOS and change something or reset it to default (I've always reset to default, so I'm not sure if it will work if you make no changes). Interestingly enough, I noticed that the BIOS had, on its own accord, changed my multi-monitor setting to disabled and changed render standby to enabled.

TRENDING THREADS