Intel Heat

firefoxz

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Hello everybody... I just have this anoying problem. I seem to have this nuclear plant at my feet. Well It's just a Prescott @ 3 GHz with HT, runing on stock cooling. To me it seams kind of hot... It goes like 55+ºc on idle and like 74º wile runing boinc, and this is in a AC room. Even the case gets hot in some places... What is the "normal" operating temerature of this kind of chip? Should I get a new cooler, more case fans, forget boinc ... any sugestions?

More specs:
ASUS P4S800MX Motherboard
512 PC3200 OEM RAM

PD: It's my work computer, thats why I dont have an AMD

leexgx

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
sounds like an P4 (intel room heater)

55 idle does seem an little high, make sure there is air flow inside the case and make sure the heat sink has no dust in it

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah, that processor should'nt be running that high. Sounds as if the HSF is not installed properly. I would pull it back off, clean it, apply new paste and reseat it making sure the feet are securely to the board.

If you have a socket 775, they've been known to have issues with the HSF not seating properly causing the processor to run hot.

penguin_d

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
There are 2 issues that could be contributing to this problem.

1. has been mentioned, the stock mounting points for the CPU are horrific, make sure the CPU is seated perfectly, and the HFS is mounted flush (the snap downs don't like to hold tight) This is the reason I reccomend an aftermarket heat sink that screws on with a retention plate on the other side of the board (equal downward pressure.

2. The stock Intel heatsink is BARELY capable of disappating the heat created. (about 120 Watts absolute max, with the TDP for the pressy at 115 Watts) With the stock pad it can do it in optimal conditions (cpu/hsf installed perfectly), if you have reinstalled using the white thermal goo it will overheat as the silicon based TIMs aren't conductive enough (the intel Thermal pads are AgO based). So you may have to invest in some AS5 or similar product to get the proper thermal transfer.

Or as I said above get a high quality HSF.

firefoxz

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Thanks for the advice...

Just wondering though... How hig ºC can I safly go before it might go kaput? Btw, I know heat will eventualy kill my cpu:?

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Some people say 70C while others will say 80C. I believe Intel states 80 but I for one, would not let any processors run that high at all. 60C max is a good number for me.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Although intel cpu can run at high temperatures, however it is best if the temps can be controlled at under 65c* at load. If you want it less hotter then get some plenty of cool air going inside your case. Install better case fans and even get more vents for your case like the side panels. If you don't have it yet, then get a better cooling heat sink fan for your cpu. One of my pc is an intel with the 840 and I'm using the Thermaltake Big Typhoon to cool it down to 48c* at full load. Also don't forget to use a nice thermalpaster like artic silver or ocz. :D

lost

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
At a guess you have a Prescott 530 or a 630 series, both are 3.0GHz HT.

55C idle and 74C are way too high.

The Thermal spec for a 530 is 67.7C and thermal design power of 84 watts. For the 630 it is 66.6C spec and 84watts.

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/products/box_processors/desktop/proc_dsk_p4_5xx/technical_reference/182403.htm#1

If the case gets hot, then it sounds like it has insufficient ventillation, air flow through it, blocked up cooler fins(dust) or simlpy not enough fans to provide cool air.

Case temp should be around 38C, roughly the temp of a human body.

Also as some have already said here, make sure that the cpu cooler locking feet have not come loose. Press down on all four. If any "click" that one was loose.

cherrion

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Wierd my temps for my 630 are 43 0c max even when under heavy load. But I think you need to take into account the airlfow in the case. I have two fans at the front sucking air in, one fan at the back blowing out the the psu fan sucking out the cpu heat. So my pc is like a mini jet engine but that sound is music to my ears.

lost

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
My 640 runs in the 30's idle and 40's load - depending on ambiant.

Running like jet engines may not be a good thing and unnecessary.

My rear fan runs faster and has more CFM that my front fan, both 120mm.

I added a 80mm fan to my Antec Sonata side case cover to lower my Northbridge temps from low 40's to middle 30's.

I don't use the stock Intel cooler either.

firefoxz

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Allright... I guess I'll have tu shut down this nuclear plant... I'll check my HSK and might put some more fans...

But bummer... this ting makes so much noise allready. Might look for some larger fans :?

---

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Go with a quality zalman cooler with AS5 and you don't hear anything from that machine and have a cool running processor at the same time.

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
This is a 3.0E, the P4S800 is SOCKET 478! Duh.

One thing they or correct with is it should not be that hot. Intel says 67c in the tech docs. Try Artic Silver 5, or in worst case a new HSF. If it stays cool with the side of the case open you my need more or better case fans.

I use the stock Intel HSF on my 530j, and at 4ghz stays with in specs. Manyt people here a brain-washed by AMD, don't listen to them.

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
WARNING:
engineering defect in stock Intel heatsink/fan units
for LGA775 socket CPUs

(This generic message only applies to
Intel CPUs with LGA775 socket and
stock Intel heatsink/fan units.)

Not 478., or any LGA 775s I have used.

firefoxz

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
This is a 3.0E, the P4S800 is SOCKET 478! Duh.
I use the stock Intel HSF on my 530j, and at 4ghz stays with in specs. Manyt people here a brain-washed by AMD, don't listen to them.

Yeah, my MB is not that new, but it's hot. I'll keep you posted on the solutions I try...

And about AMD... there is a little trouth in every roumor...

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
ill be honest i read none of those posts besides the first one

heres how i solved my overheating prob

all unused PCI slot covers came out

found a fan (house fan) and stuck it behind my PC, cools great :) and my feet are cool too

this is if u got one of thseo crappy cases that is provided by HP or sony what ever

yah increase airflow by removing ur PCI slot covers

dust - who cares vaccum it every now and then prob solved

lost

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
I do believe that this defect was reported on only one brand of LGA775 motherboard.

I fault find both mechaincal and electronic equipment faults everyday.

To say that it is a defect with every LGA775 is incorrect and misleading as well as bad fault finding practice. The same goes for the stantard Intel and aftermarket cooler mounting and attachment method.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the thickness of the mainboard has a part to play in this fault.

That my 2 cents worth anyway.

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
To me it seams kind of hot... It goes like 55+ºc on idle and like 74º wile runing boinc, and this is in a AC room. Even the case gets hot in some places... What is the "normal" operating temerature of this kind of chip?

Sounds like it running right on target! BaHAHAHHA
Hey i'm getting kinda hungry since its almost lunch time, could you toss a pizza in there for me? :lol: :lol:

But in all seriousness, for a cooling solution I suggest
Missing option:

Upgrade to an AMD socket 939 + nForce4

CPU: ~ $160
BOARD: ~$90

result = happiness

firefoxz

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Hey i'm getting kinda hungry since its almost lunch time, could you toss a pizza in there for me? :lol: :lol:

:) I bet if I put the case on its side, it'll keep it nice and warm... Maybe I should try and do something usefull, open a cup holder and keep my coffe hot :wink:

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
P4 630 775 Socket T @ 3011

37*C idle & 42*C Full Load with Arctic Silver 5....(this is what your temps should be like or close too depending on your case)

i have 2 80mm fans for intake in the front of my case, and 1 80mm fan for exhuast plus 2 psu fans.

the first couple of times i seated my HS/F the temps were close to yours, around 70*c at full load.

but now my full load temps do not go above 43*C, if your temps are hot you have to reseat your fan. and if its still hot try try again. like it was said before the prongs on the HS dont not latch all the way everytime. took me about 3 tries to get it right and im pretty experienced in building pc's.

and the stock HSF does and can handle the heat produced by the prescotts just fine, the problem is getting the HSF on there!!!!

without a load my cpu temp drops by 2*C at a time and returns to its idle temp in a matter of minutes!!!