Intel Hiring Sci-Fi Writers to Drive Technology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amigafan

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Funny how everything nowadays is: "it's not about technology, it's about you!" stuff. It's like they are afraid people will be alienated by the technology so they want to hide it away.

From simplified user interfaces (avoiding/hiding menus in applications and OS etc.) to increasing amount of less technical news on the tech sites.

*** a (sarcastic) peek into the future: ***

No, no it's not technology, it's sparkly & shiny magic! What did you say?! You are asking details on your citizenPad's CPU and memory? Well buddy I'm afraid we'll gonna have to kill you, you don't fit the generic consumer profile.

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Lol I understand that you have to think of something before it can be invented, but this is stretching it a bit much.

I want a transporter and warp drive and time travel and a quantum computer, but it doesn't mean they're all possible...

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
No, no it's not technology, it's sparkly & shiny magic! What did you say?! You are asking details on your citizenPad's CPU and memory? Well buddy I'm afraid we'll gonna have to kill you, you don't fit the generic consumer profile.

Almost accurate, but you won't die.

Freedom is irrelevant, Self-determination is irrelevant, you will be assimilated, resistance is futile, we are Apple.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Soma42[/nom]Lol I understand that you have to think of something before it can be invented, but this is stretching it a bit much.I want a transporter and warp drive and time travel and a quantum computer, but it doesn't mean they're all possible...[/citation]
Why isn't it possible? They already have researchers and scientists who have been studying transporters, warp drives, time travel and quantum computing for a while. We already know time and space can be bent using force, therefore, time and space can be manipulated.

Intel is far ahead of any other computer chip makers. They already came out and said that they are working towards making computer chips as small as atoms. So far, they have processing chips as small as the tip of a pin. I applaud Intel for funding a project like Morrow.

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]Why isn't it possible? They already have researchers and scientistswho have been studying transporters, warp drives, time travel and quantum computing for a while.[/citation]

I know there is research going on with most of those things, but it's scientists, engineers and the next Einstein who are going to make those happen, not science fiction writers.

It seems like a total waste of money for a writer to have his whole job be just to think of something for the Intel guys to work on.

My point is, that since writers are good at writing fiction and Intel is good at making electronics then Intel should just learn how to read and keep the writers doing what they do best.

Hell, with Asimov, P.K. Dick, Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Orson Scott Card, 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc. they already have a road map for the future.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
It makes a lot of sense! Hiring very smart people, creatives in this case, to say how they think technology could be used by regular people in the next years and INTEL won't have to spend a ton of money and time creating actual prototypes but only evaluating if any of those virtual inventions have any potential or not to take it to a next level.

If you want to picture the future of society who are you going to ask? The technical guy who doesn't have visualization resources about how man and society acts, needs and think or the writer who does that for living?

G

Maybe Intel is going to start just tell BS stories about how fast their processors are and not come up with results. Oh, wait, that's Congress.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Seems Intel may be looking into patent mongering. hire a bunch of people to think of things, slap a patent on it and just sit back and wait for someone to make it real.

fflam

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I know there is research going on with most of those things, but it's scientists, engineers and the next Einstein who are going to make those happen, not science fiction writers.

i bet if you ask 99% of those scientists/engineers they will say that they got started being scientists/engineers because of a sci-fi book they read.

G

Well, let's see... we have already been able to transport an electron, or was it a photon?
Anyway, point is, transporters are possible. It's only a matter of time, scale and power until they are able to dematerialize/materialize relatively big objects (and possibly even organic matter).

Furthermore, research into FTL has been ongoing for some time, and while mainstream science proclaimed (somewhat in a rush if you ask me) that it's impossible, one has to take into account that current technologies available to the consumer would of course be inadequate for such a task, however, what about techs that were never released and are by about 5 to 10 decades ahead of what we currently use?
Lol... 'mainstream' is such a depraved area that it's really pathetic.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Soma42[/nom]Lol I understand that you have to think of something before it can be invented, but this is stretching it a bit much.I want a transporter and warp drive and time travel and a quantum computer, but it doesn't mean they're all possible...[/citation]

don't forget replicators !!! best star trek tech ever, would wipe out hunger ! :p they can replicate mroe than food too !,

but in a small part we are already workign on thsi granted they don't do thier work from molecular samples like St's replicators do , nor do they make everythign under the sun, but companies are makig gmachines that "craft" items in store , so far it's been applied to cloths and simple plastic items , but we'll see them in stores in the next 10 years.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]noob2222[/nom]Seems Intel may be looking into patent mongering. hire a bunch of people to think of things, slap a patent on it and just sit back and wait for someone to make it real.[/citation]

very likely

i can see teh scenario.

sci-fi guy thinks up soem world cahnging tech now , 50-100 years when intel or soem other company makes it real, intel gets allt eh money or sues others to get teh money

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
I want holograms where we could decorate our house with different settings. Make your house hold look like a forest, a beach, etc.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Well Intel has a ton of money. I doubt they are budgeting more than 500k on all of these writers. That's a drop in the bucket for Intel. So it makes sense when put in that perspective. If the writers help them somehow, great. If the writers don't help them... they write it off as a minor business expense.

G

Anybody remember that in world war 2, Robert A Heinlein and a number of other famous SF authors were doing this sort of thing (not for Intel)? Or that Arthur C Clarke was instrumental in the field of global satellite communications? Also, what percentage of the 'ubernerds' are readers of this speculative fiction- and what ideas percolated as Memes (which are the brainchild of William Gibson?

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
i thought they would hire more physics and engineering graduates rather than fiction writers. they can come up with ideas and stories about warp speed computing while AMD figures out how to make them happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.