Intel Hyper-Threading Accused of Being a Security Threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
The next thing recommended will be to remove our CPUs, then remove the hammer from our tool boxes, and proceed to go to town on the die of our CPUs. I think I'll stick with the law of nature here. There's safety in the herd. Better to be one of 2 billion.

D

Deleted member 2449095

I wonder if this could possibly be convincing companies to choose AMD Epyc. Recently Dropbox decided to use Epyc processors.
I doubt anyone would answer this question directly, but why not ask someone anonymously? It could be interesting.

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
This sounds like the stupidest thing I have ever heard today disable hyper threading. Where do these guys come up with this stuff? Sorry but my hyper threading is staying on I am not about to turn my i7 into an i5 because someone is yelling the sky is falling the sky is falling.

kingsol767

Prominent
Dec 25, 2017
In defense of Intel, these flaws are the result of people chipping at the architecture for years. The level of risk and to who should be made clearer.

On the other hand, the lack of true competition breeds complacency. Intel and Apple are in the same boat. The marketing teams have taken over. This leaves breeds weakness in the actual products.

None of it matters unless you are running a datacenter.

Also this architecture has went mostly unchanged for longer than I believe any Intel architecture has in the past. If only they were on IceLake already, it would take researchers a lot of time to work out new hacks for it. Its a price you pay for stagnating due to lack of competition.

The most secure computer is an unplugged computer.

Epyc has SMT and while Intel has a slightly different implementation it is not unlikely that even AMD CPUs will also have similar flaws in them. Intel is getting more spotlight since they still own the lions share of the processor market. The more that AMD gets the more likely we are to find flaws of their own.

The problem is that people are freaking out way too much over some of them.

FredSchaeffer

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
Darn good post. Semi-obvious, but the follow-the-crowd mentality has been infiltrating for a long time.

Thank you and best regards,
Fred Schaeffer

Trevor98

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
It seems that we've gotten to the point where the only reason to own a computer is to keep it from becoming infected.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
a couple of points.
Intel can't tell every single OS designer how to fix these problems. One, they might not know themselves, yet. Two, there are way too many Linux based OS's. If Intel helps OS designers, they will stick with the basics of Windows (Microsoft) and macOS (Apple), since they not only write them, but sell and support them as actual products.
Not everyone has to worry about these vulnerabilities. They aren't exactly easy to impliment, and I really don't see hackers going after me, or my neighbours, just to mess around with us.
Since these things actually need to be fixed at the hardware/CPU level, maybe take that into consideration when discussing the fact that Intel has been pushing back their product launches for a bit now. CPUs aren't exactly easy or fast to make. I don't know exactly what needs to be implimented, but it can't be easy, and maybe not something that can be added on to the dies they've already created. That might mean that dies they've cast before finding out about the vulnerabilities may be useless. Wasted money, and wasted time.

kareefh

Prominent
Sep 20, 2017
I am curious if this also effects AMD processors. Some of the vulnerabilities that this is connected to are not on AMD, and I know their implementation of SMT is different, but it doesn't sound like they tested AMD at all, no mention of AMD at all in the article. So far, it's looking like AMD has a huge opportunity in the data center with so many vulnerabilities being found on Intel, in addition to the other issues with 10nm etc. Add hyperthreading to that and you suddenly see why AmD is going in strong with 7nm epyc.

It is definitely a factor. AMD slides on EPYC is making security a selling point... I would not want to buy anything Intel right now with all these problems.

lesizz

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
It will take time to see what hackers make of this. Lotta creativity out there and it's impossible to predict with accuracy what will transpire.

Meanwhile hyperthread at your own risk. Life if full of risk.

Aug 2, 2018
Intel should take this as an excuse to move to ARM/RISC CPU and ditch This old technology they have been using since forever ...

Apple Moved from IBM CPU's to Intel in 2 years . I think Intel and the PC should do the same

Status
Not open for further replies.