intel hyperthreading CPU

HeavenKidz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
Yosh....

Back again...i want to ask about hyperthreading..many people says the hyperthreading will makes your cpu slower if you're enabled but if you're disabled you will get 10-15% more speed...i'm not believe it cuz as i know when you were disabled the hyperthreading it will makes your pc running preety slow..and im tryting to disabled hyperthreading when i gaming,i got an fps drop??

which is the true answer??slower or faster?

Solution

The purpose of HT is to improve the performance of the system as a whole, not the performance of a single application.

Applications that exhibit a great deal of concurrency and are subject to real time constraints (such as video games) need to be careful to avoid the pitfalls that HT's presence can...

Generally, hyper threading will be a framerate increase in most applications. I suppose certainly poorly programmed tasks might not make effective use of the extra threads, but the instances in which hyper threading would harm the framerate are extremely rare, and most likely 99% are rumors propagated by AMD fanboys with a tiny grain of truth.

The CPU treats the extra threads added by hyper threading as normal threads just like any others. Any game which uses more than 2 cores will use hyper threading on an i3. Any game which uses more than 4 cores will use hyper threading on an i7. Games do not have to be specifically programmed to utilize hyper threading.

Apps can either use HT or not. Those that can will perform nicely. And even when poorly optimized, the benefit from having more virtual cores on a workload is usually greater than the overhead.

Tell the people making these claims to post references/sources. Otherwise I'm inclined to agree with Rationale that this may be fanboy propoganda.

HeavenKidz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
hmmm listen...i have an old dual core cpu i3 2100 and i have 2 graphics card..one is hd 7870 and one is gtx 660 non ti..when i use the hd 7870 i'm always feels FPS drop when i enabling hyperthreading , but when i using the gtx 660 i don't feels anything when i enabling hyperthreading..if i wanna to smooth playing using hd 7870 i'm must disabled the hyperthreading and later the question must i know is how it can be?

Have you ever benchmarked it? Otherwise it sounds like a placebo effect, to be honest.

Although, it is possible that by using the AMD card, games are switching PhysX to the CPU and causing problems that way. AMD cards do not support hardware accelerated PhysX, and it was never meant to run on the CPU. Which games do you believe encounter framerate drops with hyper threading while using the HD 7870?

HeavenKidz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014

no..i didn't ever benchmarking on my pc...the fps drop feels when i was playing wolfenstein,child of light and state of decay..i feels it when i use the 7870 but when i'm using the 660 it was nothing problem

The purpose of HT is to improve the performance of the system as a whole, not the performance of a single application.

Applications that exhibit a great deal of concurrency and are subject to real time constraints (such as video games) need to be careful to avoid the pitfalls that HT's presence can introduce. Many applications do this, but some do not. Intel has published recommended guidelines for doing so, but it is up to the application designer to actually implement them.

Leave HT enabled. It's a very well developed technology and modern operating systems handle it very well.

Solution