Question Intel I225-V Driver Not Detecting the Ethernet Cable

Jan 9, 2023
Hello, Today I came back from my holiday and suddenly my ethernet is not working. So I went out and bought a new cable. Seems the issue is not that.. I started searching the web and seem to find a lot of people saying that I needed to go back to 1.0.1.4 Driver for it to work, I did that and it still hasn't changed. It was perfectly working before I left around a month ago...

I followed quite a few tutorials, but none seemed to help.

I need help urgently :/

MSI Z690-A DDR4
i7-12700f
32GB RAM
RTX 2070
Windows 10 Pro

PC Works Fine, and its booting.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

The system is booting - correct?

Did you manually download, reinstall, and reconfigure the 10.1.4 driver? No third party tools or installers.

Maybe Intel's website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...ntel-ethernet-controller-i225v/downloads.html

Look in Reliabiity History and Event Viewer. Either one or both tools may be capturing some relevant error code, warning, or even informational event when the failures occur.

Try running the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Failing that try "sfc /scannow" and "dism"

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

Jan 9, 2023
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

The system is booting - correct?

Did you manually download, reinstall, and reconfigure the 10.1.4 driver? No third party tools or installers.

Maybe Intel's website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...ntel-ethernet-controller-i225v/downloads.html

Look in Reliabiity History and Event Viewer. Either one or both tools may be capturing some relevant error code, warning, or even informational event when the failures occur.

Try running the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Failing that try "sfc /scannow" and "dism"

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central
Thank you for your response.
I have manually reinstalled that driver version.

I also tried the latest one from the link you sent me above.
Event Viewer shows nothing other than that the device has started.
Troubleshooter says that the cable might not be connected. - I saw the exact same issue on Intel's Discord, and the person never got a response on how to fix his.. so he ended up buying a PCI-E adapter, whereas I dont have any more PCIE slots :(

Jan 9, 2023
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-UHU8A1I
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : customer.ask4.lan

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D8-BB-C1-CE-CD-39
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 2E-4D-54-BA-36-97

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 2C-4D-54-BA-36-97

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : customer.ask4.lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ASUS Wireless PCI-E Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 2C-4D-54-BA-36-97
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3b60:5bf6:990a:12d9%7(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.104.68.211(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 09 January 2023 20:13:58
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 09 January 2023 20:38:02
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.104.64.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.104.64.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 137121108
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-2B-4E-0C-35-2C-4D-54-BA-36-97
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.104.64.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Jan 10, 2023
I had the same issue which happened a few days ago. For me (I think) it was the driver crashing whilst trying to have a 1gbit connection. For me forcing the driver to use a 100mbps connection seemed to solve this issue.
-Open Device Manager
-Select Intel Ethernet Controller I225-V
-Go to the advanced tab
-Go to Speed & Duplex
-Change the value to 100 Mbps Full Duplex

Hope this helps, I still haven't found the solution to fix the drivers crashing.

Ethernet cables can loosen at either end.
Push the end in securely and see if the yellow or green led shows activity.
If no joy, check the other end.

If you do see activity, then in device manager verify that the adapter is working and that there is a driver.

I would remove the old intel oem.inf files for you adapter
using the pnputil.exe via this method:
How Devices and Driver Packages are Uninstalled - Windows drivers | Microsoft Learn
basically, run cmd.exe as an administrator. then run
pnputil.exe /e
look at the list and find the old copies of the intel driver and delete all but the most current one. Then install this:
Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V

after the install, go into device manager right click on the device and find the power management tab and make sure windows does not turn it off to save power. Some versions will not wake up.

How Devices and Driver Packages are Uninstalled - Windows drivers | Microsoft Learn
pnputil.exe /e
look at the list and find the old copies of the intel driver and delete all but the most current one. Then install this:

after the install, go into device manager right click on the device and find the power management tab and make sure windows does not turn it off to save power. Some versions will not wake up.

pnputil.exe /e

note: you use pnputil to remove the old driver packages since the windows ui does not indicate the file dates on the driver install dates or versions. Some versions of the setup do not make the newly installed driver the active driver. deleting the old oem.inf packages reduces the confusion.

There are also some registry settings that will disable your wired lan if you get a faster wifi connection with your ASUS Wireless PCI-E Adapter.
it used to be wifi would turn off when wired LAN was connected but with faster wifi you might get older wired LANs disconnected.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023
Thank you for all your answers, I tried many solutions previously, and in conclusion, I started believing that my ethernet port (wall port) is broken, as I live in university accommodation I got an engineer to come over and have a look, so Ill have a definite answer by tomorrow because I've tested both of my cables with my friends, they both worked, then I got one of their PS4's into my room, and it failed to connect, so that's why I started believing t hat its the wall port problem