Intel i3 2100 3.1GHz Heating

Jul 25, 2018
So i got Intel i3 2100 3.1GHz without OC. At first it works fine, for like 3 months, and one day, my comp act sluggish, so i checked my cpu temp and it's around 80-90'C in idle, and 100'C when load 100%. I got no viruses/malware in my pc. Basicly probably because the heatsink need to be replaced, but i want to make sure if it's actually normal or is there any other probability ?

Ram 4gb
gpu : GTX 660 Ti
1tb hd

Solution
Only way to find out is to remove the cooler, clean, and re-paste. The stock cooler, at stock speeds, should be perfectly fine. 70-80C is way too warm for idle temps. Good paste like arctic 5 is cheap and shouldn't take long to arrive. There is no substitute for good thermal paste.

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
Sounds like the cooler wasn't installed properly in the first place. Problems like this may only show later as the problem may worsen over time.

Which cooler are you using? Intel's stock cooler isn't very good to start with so that only makes it worse.

Get new paste, it might dried up as you heated it a lot. Get something like arctic ceramic 2 for cheap and reliable (or any other 6+ W/m*K paste. and check mount. you either did not tighten it up OR did it to tight.

Jul 25, 2018

I still use a stock cooler , right now i ordered new one, and hopefully it will works. Also, is 70-80'C will damage the CPU?

Jul 25, 2018

There's no dust, and the stock heatsink is clean. But looks like the heatsink performance drop down.

Ztdutxjgxgtu

Respectable
Nov 30, 2016
I had i5 2500 without cooler and temps are at 80c.
Stock cooler is fine for i3.
Make sure the 4 legs are making the cooler flat on cpu, only 2 diagonal legs have same effect.
If you dont have new paste, use toothpaste

Kenton82

Reputable
Only way to find out is to remove the cooler, clean, and re-paste. The stock cooler, at stock speeds, should be perfectly fine. 70-80C is way too warm for idle temps. Good paste like arctic 5 is cheap and shouldn't take long to arrive. There is no substitute for good thermal paste.

Solution