Intel i3 2120 Overheating!

Patrick Escueta

Reputable
May 13, 2014
Its been a month since im having this problem , my computer performance suddenly slowed down in terms of gaming , like im getting less 10 fps now not like before , and sometimes fps isn't stable ,also the cpu usage isnt stable ,then i checked my cpu temps ( using CoreTemp and Realtemp) and it varies about 70-90c! sometimes it reaches 102c too which is tjmax, ive been using this system for about 1 year now and i've been using the i3 stock heatsink , i tried to clean the dust from it but nothing changes , should i re-put a thermal paste on the cpu again? or change the heatsink? or whatelse is the problem? could a virus cause this problem too?

ps : using a browser seems fine but gaming is what im concered of since it decreased fps especially when playing massive multiplayer online games :/

Thank you in advance and sorry for my bad english :)

Shaina11

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014

First off, the guy above doesn't know what he's talking about and has clearly never heard of thermal paste. About how old is your computer? And how long ago did this problem come up? It is very likely that the solution to your problem is to apply new thermal paste to the CPU. You can ether do this yourself or take it to a professional.

If you want to do this yourself, then let me know and I'll tell you how to do it, properly.

Shaina11

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014

Oh and FYI, those badges are so easy to get, that even if you have that badge, all that means is you've answered 10 questions about CPUs, that does not automatically make you a CPU Expert. :D