Intel i3 7100 based htpc stutters with 4k video

xplar

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/xplar/saved/HXT7P6

Here is my build. I just bought a Samsung 65" 4k tv and when I play 4k video either from YouTube or in MPC I get stuttering. YouTube video is the worst, probably because it's running in chrome and chrome is a dirty resource hog, but I downloaded a few sample videos and they have some motion blur and minor stuttering. When I check the performance monitor, my CPU is running near or at 100%. I'm looking for a suggestion on anything I should tweak, or which CPU I should upgrade to so I can get the crystal clear 4k I was hoping for. Maybe I could add a GPU that would work better than the integrated graphics? I'm running windows 10. TIA for any info you can send my way!

winks42

Respectable
Make sure “max performance” is turned on in Nvidia control panel. Your gpu should be deciding the video not the cpu(as much).
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/4k-player-stutter-and-high-cpu-utilization.2498430/

This link might help you

xplar

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Thanks for the info, although I don't have nvidia control panel because I'm not using an nvidia chipset. This build is just running on the intel integrated graphics. I've done some more research and I think the problem is with the motherboard trying to output on the hdmi. I need something with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 support. I'm thinking that if I pop in a proper video card like a gtx 950 up to a 1080 I should be able to get the performance I'm looking for. That will offload all the decoding onto the GPU and leave the CPU with a lot of free processing power. Currently, YouTube lags but CPU is only at about 30% and Netflix looks like crap. I downloaded a 4k video sample from the movie Elysium and it looks amazing but my CPU runs at 100% for most of it which causes the video to stutter. When I play Netflix from the tv app it looks incredible so I know what it should look like. I've tried a few tweaks and made sure all my drivers are up to date and the video performance got a tiny bit better, but it's nowhere near what I'm looking for. I'm going to pop by a local shop tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions as well.