[SOLVED] intel i3 8100 over heating

Jan 12, 2019
Hello

Looking for some advice here. Just purchased a prebuilt pc from Canada computers. Was installing some programs then had to restart the computer and when it restarted it went straight to a black screen saying

CPU over temperature Error!
Press F1 to run setup

just curious is this normal for a brand new computer? I believe it just has the stock cooler. Is there any settings i should double check to try and fix this. Would it be a good idea to upgrade the cooler?

Any advice would greatly appreciated

THanks!

Solution
fixed the problem. i didn't notice before. but when i opened the back side. i saw one of the pins weren't in at all on the motherboard. pushed it in and now temperatures are siting around 31. pretty sure that was the problem. thanks for the tips!
Jan 12, 2019
Also, if you open the computer, what do they have for case fans?
when i look inside. I see 2 fans. The one on top of the cpu im assuming is the stock one and the 1 fan that came with the case. The case is deepcool D-shield V2.

Also im not sure if this is normal temp. I installed core temp to look at the temperatures. When im just on the desktop running nothing and staying idle. All 4 core temp are staying around 50. Not sure if these are normal.

If it's brand new, return it. I would recommend more than 1 fan besides the CPU fan, but at work we have a lot of Dell systems that only use one case fan and they run fine.

If it's something you are using for gaming or something, I could see it heating up. But 50 at idle seems high. But I could be wrong.

Jan 12, 2019
fixed the problem. i didn't notice before. but when i opened the back side. i saw one of the pins weren't in at all on the motherboard. pushed it in and now temperatures are siting around 31. pretty sure that was the problem. thanks for the tips!

Solution