[SOLVED] Intel I5-10600k power throttling problem

Feb 14, 2021
I just yesterday set up my new desktop (with a help of a friend since I'm no good with hardware) with an I5-10600k on an ASRock B460m Pro4 motherboard. Installed a Deepcool Gammaxx 200t cooler for the CPU.

I've been having a pretty much permanent power throttling issue. Package TDP is always hovering at the ~155W range which is above the PL1 limit of 125W of this motherboard (cannot be changed).

Processor speed is also shown @ 900 MHz in the BIOS.

Any suggestions as to what could be causing this? Could it be something was not set up correctly on the mobo?

Solution
BIOS is already the latest version ... cooler isn't very fitting but I did see it recommended in a couple of setups with I5-10600k.

Wherever you saw that recommendation is a very poorly informed source. Such advice should be ignored in lieu of critical reviews performed by reputable websites.

Is it possible that it's the cooler itself causing this permanent power throttling?

After the 800MHz problem is solved, then yes, it can and it will.

CPU is permanently operating @ 800MHz so even in stress tests the temperature remains @ 30C.

As my esteemed colleague, rgd1101, has suggested, consult the manual. Use the Clear CMOS jumper to reset BIOS to factory default values (see section 2.5) which may solve...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
I5-10600k
ASRock B460m Pro4
Deepcool Gammaxx 200t

power throttling issue ... Package TDP always hovering at the ~155W range which is above the PL1 limit of 125W of this motherboard (cannot be changed).

Processor speed is also shown @ 900 MHz in the BIOS.

Could it be something was not set up correctly on the mobo?

etherioNN,

On behalf of Tom's Hardware Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

(1) The DeepCool Gammaxx 200T is a $15 low-end 120mm fan class 2-pipe cooler for which DeepCool does not even specify the TDP. This cooler most likely performs below Intel's specified 130 Watt TDP stock cooler that's sold separately. This low-end cooler is woefully inadequate for a 6 Core / 12 Thread i5-10600K, which is essentially a 10th Generation refresh of the 8th Generation high-end 6 Core / 12 Thread i7-8700K.

Although PL1 for the 10600K is 125 Watts TDP, PL2 is specified in the Datasheets (see page 94, Table 5-6) at 182 Watts TDP, which demands a decent mid-high-end air cooler or a 240mm AIO liquid cooler. Although "Throttle" temperature is 100°C, the consensus among well informed and highly experienced reviewers, system builders and expert overclockers, is that it's prudent to observe a reasonable thermal margin below Throttle temperature for ultimate stability, performance and longevity. So regardless of environmental conditions, hardware configurations, software workloads or any other variables, Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

PdancCI.jpg

Also, keep in mind that Core temperatures increase and decrease with Ambient (room) temperature, for which the International Standard is 22°C or 72°C. This means that since most users don't operate their computers in a constant environment, Summer indoor temperatures can be significantly higher than Winter, which will adversely affect Core temperatures.

(2) In order to operate an unlocked "K" processor at peak stock performance, it should be paired with an unlocked "Z" motherboard to fully access voltage, power, current and AVX settings, even if you do not intend to overclock at this time.

(3) Ensure that the motherboard has the latest BIOS, which is 1.50. You can download it from ASRock's website here.

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT:sol:

Feb 14, 2021
etherioNN,

On behalf of Tom's Hardware Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

(1) The DeepCool Gammaxx 200T is a $15 low-end 120mm fan class 2-pipe cooler for which DeepCool does not even specify the TDP. This cooler most likely performs below Intel's specified 130 Watt TDP stock cooler that's sold separately. This low-end cooler is woefully inadequate for a 6 Core / 12 Thread i5-10600K, which is essentially a 10th Generation refreshed variant of the 8th Generation high-end 6 Core / 12 Thread i7-8700K. Although PL1 for the 10600K is 125 Watts TDP, PL2 is specified in the Datasheets (see page 94, Table 5-6) at 182 Watts TDP, which demands a decent mid-high-end air cooler or a 240mm AIO liquid cooler, so Core temperatures don't exceed 80°C.

(2) In order to operate an unlocked "K" processor at peak stock performance, it should be paired with an unlocked "Z" motherboard to access voltage, power, current and AVX settings, even if you do not intend to overclock at this time.

(3) Ensure that the motherboard has the latest BIOS, which is 1.50. You can download it from ASRock's website here.

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT :sol:
Thanks for the welcome and help!

BIOS is already the latest version, I tried playing around with most of the settings to no avail.

Sadly, I'm aware this cooler isn't very fitting but I did see it recommended in a couple of setups with I5-10600k. Is it possible that it's the cooler itself causing this permanent power throttling? I'm not even getting the chance to look at temperatures since the CPU is permanently operating @ 800MHz so even in stress tests the temperature remains @ 30C.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
BIOS is already the latest version ... cooler isn't very fitting but I did see it recommended in a couple of setups with I5-10600k.

Wherever you saw that recommendation is a very poorly informed source. Such advice should be ignored in lieu of critical reviews performed by reputable websites.

Is it possible that it's the cooler itself causing this permanent power throttling?

After the 800MHz problem is solved, then yes, it can and it will.

CPU is permanently operating @ 800MHz so even in stress tests the temperature remains @ 30C.

As my esteemed colleague, rgd1101, has suggested, consult the manual. Use the Clear CMOS jumper to reset BIOS to factory default values (see section 2.5) which may solve the problem. If not, a Google search reveals several queries for this particular problem.

A suggested solution is to disable "CPU Thermal Throttling" in BIOS. Although this may solve the problem, it is definitely NOT recommended, especially with such a poor cooler, as it may disable "Throttle" protection which can potentially cause thermal damage to the processor by allowing it to exceed 100°C.

Download and run HWiNFO in "Sensors Only" mode and closely monitor your Core temperatures. HWiNFO is a detailed monitoring utility which is highly regarded for its accuracy. Proceed slowly and very carefully when applying workloads, as your low-end 2 pipe cooler will be largely ineffective at dissipating heat from your 125 Watt TDP 10600K with anything more than a moderate workload of about 90 Watts.

We must also point out that as your cooler uses the same problematic "push-pins" as Intel stock coolers, overheating problems are common due to the push pins not fully seating through the motherboard and properly latching. When purchasing an air cooler, only those which fasten to the motherboard using proper hardware and a backplate should be considered.

CT:sol:

Solution

TRENDING THREADS