[SOLVED] Intel i5 11600 high temperature and noise with stock cooler

DPU

Prominent
Sep 30, 2021
Hi all,

I recently set up a new pc with an Intel I5 11600 and RAM corsair 2x8 2666mhz. I have enabled the xmp profile through my bios setting at the profile1 which was 2666Mhz. Also, I know that turbo boost is enabled by default at 4.6Ghz. At idle the intel stock fan is at 2200 RPM with ~38C. When doing very simple tasks the CPU core temperatures can rise making the fan louder at >2300RPM (which can happen very often). For an easy stress test like CPU-Z the core temps can get easily to 74C. Is this normal? From HWinfo I see my PL1 power limit is at 85W. Should I disable turbo boost in order to handle the high temps and the fan noise with the stock cooler? Ambient temp is ~22C.

thanks in advance

Solution
Hi all,

I recently set up a new pc with an Intel I5 11600 and RAM corsair 2x8 2666mhz. I have enabled the xmp profile through my bios setting at the profile1 which was 2666Mhz. Also, I know that turbo boost is enabled by default at 4.6Ghz. At idle the intel stock fan is at 2200 RPM with ~38C. When doing very simple tasks the CPU core temperatures can rise making the fan louder at >2300RPM (which can happen very often). For an easy stress test like CPU-Z the core temps can get easily to 74C. Is this normal? From HWinfo I see my PL1 power limit is at 85W. Should I disable turbo boost in order to handle the high temps and the fan noise with the stock cooler? Ambient temp is ~22C.

thanks in advance
it should be normal if you're...
Hi all,

thanks in advance
it should be normal if you're using intel stock cooler, they're noisy, even i tested the new cooler (borrowed from my friend who bought 10700f) and tested it on my e3 1240 v2, it is nowhere near silent compared to my gammaxx 400s. also the temp easily reach 88c using gelid gc extreme paste, as i noticed that the heatsink is hot enough, meaning the thermal transfer is good but the dissipation is not real good, also the fact that my cpu is not delidded since it use thermal paste inside the ihs and the cpu die, it increase the temp alot.

Solution
When doing very simple tasks the CPU core temperatures can rise making the fan louder at >2300RPM (which can happen very often). For an easy stress test like CPU-Z the core temps can get easily to 74C. Is this normal?
Yes, normal.
Should I disable turbo boost in order to handle the high temps and the fan noise with the stock cooler? Ambient temp is ~22C.
Get a better cpu cooler. Intel stock cooler is not adequate for this cpu.

Not to worry.
Idle temperatures 10-15c. over ambient indicate that your stock cooler is mounted well.
Under load, the small 92mm fan will indeed ramp up and get noisy. It could go to even 4000RPM.

The processor will monitor it's own temperature.
If it detects a dangerous temperature, it will slow down or shut off.
That temperature is around 100c.

What is the make/model of your case?
See that the cooler is getting sufficient fresh air to let it do it's job.
If removing the case covers helps much, look to better case cooling.

You need do nothing, but most will install an aftermarket cooler to keep the noise down.
A simple tower type air cooler with a 120mm fan should do the job.

DPU

Prominent
Sep 30, 2021
Thank you all for the immediate answers. I have a kolink stronhold case. Also, what is the range of RPM of the stock cooler? Because I read somewhere that goes up to 2500 but I have 2200 at idle. That's why I am a bit scared concerning also how easily the CPU can rise temperatures. Should I turn off turbo boost while I wait for a new cooler? Will this ruin the warranty?

Should I turn off turbo boost while I wait for a new cooler?
if you worry much about the temperature then yes you could

Will this ruin the warranty?
which one? because overheating or because disabling turbo boost? both of them should not make the cpu fail easily, 74c is pretty ok but not ok for higher clock speed as it will throttle down when it got overheating. if you stress test aida64 fpu only or prime95 smallest fft which is the most heaviest test, it will make the cpu far more hot than cpuz stress test only.

DPU

Prominent
Sep 30, 2021
Your motherboard bios has a section on fan controls.
Usually, you can define a curve, depending on cpu temperature.
At idle, you can probably set the curve lower.

No matter, you are ok.
You need do nothing.
What cooler did you order?

Yes, as for the fan controls I am thinking to just use lower RPM (at least on the cool temperatures). As for the cooler I am on the process of deciding. Do you recommend any specific around 50-60 usd?

In that exact price bracket, you can get a Noctua NH-U12s redux for $50.
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nf-p1...-F2uhmpTn6g2JhqtSAkaAqQaEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
It is an excellent cooler with the easiest and most secure mounting systems, ever.
It comes with pre applied paste.

That is a plus and a minus.
If you ever want to remount, you will need to buy extra paste.

But for a bit more, I would opt for the standard nh-U12s:
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nh-u12s/p/N82E16835608040
It comes with a tube of excellent paste, good for perhaps half a dozen applications.
The cooler has an extra heat pipe and comes with low noise adapters.

DPU

Prominent
Sep 30, 2021
The most important factor for me for the cooler, besides drop down the temps is make way less noise than the all black intel stock fan. so this is my first thing to consider