Question Intel i5-1240P versus Ryzen 5825U (CPU and iGPU comparison) ?

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
hi, i want to buy one system which can have one of these two CPUs. the system won't have a discrete GPU so I would be able to use only the iGPU.
i'm gonna use it to edit videos for my youtube channel (i'm amateur and i won't do expert stuff so...) and a little gaming like FIFA 23 and the upcoming FIFA 24
so iGPU is semi-important to me.

Both systems have everything in common and the only difference is cpu and also the igpu. both have same price.
can you please help me choose which one is better cpu (better performance and future proof) and also has better igpu , power consumption, heat and etc (i don't know what other factors should i consider while comparing cpus)
thanks for your answers

Reactions: jnjnilson6

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
hi, i want to buy one system which can have one of these two CPUs. the system won't have a discrete GPU so I would be able to use only the iGPU.
i'm gonna use it to edit videos for my youtube channel (i'm amateur and i won't do expert stuff so...) and a little gaming like FIFA 23 and the upcoming FIFA 24
so iGPU is semi-important to me.

Both systems have everything in common and the only difference is cpu and also the igpu. both have same price.
can you please help me choose which one is better cpu (better performance and future proof) and also has better igpu , power consumption, heat and etc (i don't know what other factors should i consider while comparing cpus)
thanks for your answers
https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-R...0-5000-GPU-Benchmarks-and-Specs.453150.0.html

-> AMD Radeon RX Vega 8 (Ryzen 4000/5000); the Integrated GPU of the AMD Ryzen 7 5825U.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...-80EUs-GPU-Benchmarks-and-Specs.466209.0.html

-> Intel Iris Xe Graphics G7 80EUs; the Integrated GPU of the Intel Core i5-1240P.

A comparison of the Integrated GPUs:

GPU-Comparison.png

- The i5-1240P's integrated card is in orange and the Ryzen 7 5825U's integrated card - in blue.

I do believe the Integrated Graphics cards would provide synonymous performance.

A comparison of CPU performance:

Screenshot-2023-07-16-142036.png

Judging by the above it would prove well to reason that both systems would be of synonymous performance. I would personally choose the Intel over the AMD, however, if you feel you'd prefer the AMD powered machine it should provide about the same performance too (both in the CPU and GPU sphere).

Thank you for writing up! And I hope that the machine you purchase brings you many powerful and joyous hours. :)

Reactions: troyer1234567

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-R...0-5000-GPU-Benchmarks-and-Specs.453150.0.html

-> AMD Radeon RX Vega 8 (Ryzen 4000/5000); the Integrated GPU of the AMD Ryzen 7 5825U.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...-80EUs-GPU-Benchmarks-and-Specs.466209.0.html

-> Intel Iris Xe Graphics G7 80EUs; the Integrated GPU of the Intel Core i5-1240P.

A comparison of the Integrated GPUs:

GPU-Comparison.png

- The i5-1240P's integrated card is in orange and the Ryzen 7 5825U's integrated card - in blue.

I do believe the Integrated Graphics cards would provide synonymous performance.

A comparison of CPU performance:

Screenshot-2023-07-16-142036.png

Judging by the above it would prove well to reason that both systems would be of synonymous performance. I would personally choose the Intel over the AMD, however, if you feel you'd prefer the AMD powered machine it should provide about the same performance too (both in the CPU and GPU sphere).

Thank you for writing up! And I hope that the machine you purchase brings you many powerful and joyous hours. :)
thanks, why you prefer intel 1240p over 5825u?

Reactions: jnjnilson6

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
thanks, why you prefer intel 1240p over 5825u?
Well, generally I am an Intel CPU fan and an ATI/AMD GPU fan. Have been for the longest time. In the past I've had AMD CPUs, some much faster than their Intel counterparts, and they did not prove as smooth in tasks which the Intels handled perfectly. It is a very long battle, the battle Intel and AMD have been leading in terms of Processor power. However, from my experience, and from experience dating back many decades, the Intels skirt that final corner and provide performance and stability, which, here and there, may not be so smooth on AMDs.

It depends upon personal penchant too. You may get the Intel machine and it may come with some defect (having nothing to do with the Processor) or you may accidentally spill water over it and it may not last so long; you may also get the AMD machine and no such things may happen. And of course, vise-versa, you may get the Intel machine and it may last long into time, while the AMD one does not (all based upon luck and having nothing to do with numbers or specifications). Both machines harbor synonymous performance. If it were me, I would probably go with the Intel. However, it is you who will be using it, and my advice is to get the machine you feel more connected to and like better. Hopefully it lasts many years into time. :)

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Out of curiosity, can I ask what AMD CPU's you have used?
Copy pasting an old comment of mine you can find here:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/whats-your-favorite-cpu.3784872/

Remember having to decide, way back in 2012, between an i7-2600K/2700K and i5-3570K and i7-3770K and i7-3930K and finally going for the 3770K which afterward I'd managed to overclock to 5.0 GHz with Corsair H110 water cooling. At that speed it was a little faster than the 3930K (at stock) on Cinebench R11.5. It was a legendary CPU and despite the 2600K could overclock more, it supported PCIe 3.0 which the 2600K did not support.

Before that I had an i7-2630QM (4 cores / 8 threads / 2.0 - 2.9 GHz) (Lenovo IdeaPad Y570) but I don't really count it in because the laptop's chassis was a horror and the performance in games too (there was a 555M 1 GB GDDR5 inside which ran with huge frame drops and frame skips that the ATI Mobility 4530 512 MB DDR3 I had before on an HP Pavilion dv6 2010eq did not have - sure it got lower FPS, but it ran as smoothly as it could (in spite the slurring choppiness of the Nvidia) and there were no uncertain FPS variations; talking about Crysis). So afterward I decided to build a desktop and then I got a Celeron G530 and afterward in 2012: 16 GB RAM and the 3770K (before that PC had 2 GB RAM).

Believe it or not, the AMD M300 (2 cores, 2 GHz) of the HP Pavilion dv6 2010eq ran Crysis in a worse manner than did a Celeron 420 (1.6 GHz). For example, with the latter you could run the game and play music simultaneously without a hiccup, while with the former the music skipped in a deterring and ungracious manner. And it's true that the Celeron 420 performs slower than a P4 @ 2.8 GHz HT at default clock, although I was able to OC my 420 up to 3.0 GHz without a problem (the testing on Crysis occurred at 1.6 GHz).

What can I say? I am probably more of an Intel fan on the CPU side and an ATI / AMD fan in the GPU sector, despite my current machine harbors an Nvidia GPU which I don't even use.

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Additionally, have had a Sempron 3300+ (1 core / 2 GHz) and an AMD E-450.

Had three or four HP Compaq nx6125 machines all with the same specs (Sempron 3300+). They all sort of froze for a second or so every once in a while whilst browsing or working, which the Pentium M 1.6 GHz I also used (HP Compaq NX7000) never did as everything ran very smoothly on it; incredibly smoothly.

The AMD E-450 scored on Cinebench less than a Pentium 4 520 machine I had. And the difference between them is 7-8 years time. (The E-450 was a Sony Vaio)

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
It is generally the smoothness I've noticed and that some software runs much better. It never was really a death-bound situation, yet Intel have, in my opinion, been closer to perfection in terms of the entertainment experience than AMD.

Otherwise, ATI/AMD all the way (in terms of GPUs).