_Dude_of_Rock_

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Hi all, did a similar thread a couple weeks back but I recently swapped out my cooler as it wasn't keeping temps in check for the chonky noctua to d15 and idle temps have improved drastically around 35 degrees but in stress tests its shooting up to 97 to 100 degrees in under a minute. Tried disabling Asus boosting software but doesn't make much difference. I would disable abt but it really hurts clock speeds so don't know what to do. I'm running an Asus tuf b760 mobo btw in a fractal pop air.

Any tips would be really appreciated:)

Last edited:
Solution
but in stress tests its shooting up to 97 to 100 degrees in under a minute.
I would disable abt but it really hurts clock speeds so don't know what to do.
ABT will push until the CPU hits 100 degrees, that's what it's made for.
If you mobo has MCE enabled (all core turbo) then turn that off, games usually don't need all cores to run at max.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/xl/es/gaming/resources/how-intel-technologies-boost-cpu-performance.html
Intel® Adaptive Boost TechnologyOpportunistically increases all-core turbo frequency when current, power, and thermal headroom exists. Works below a temperature limit of 100°C.
Just use intel XTU to make profiles for blender or...
The modern generations of Intel processors are deemed to run hot. They are supposed to be built with higher levels of fault tolerance in terms of thermals.
Having said that, a lot depends on your case cooling, ambient temperature, heatsink(which is fine here), case(which is also decent), and motherboard VRM(which is not the best for an unlocked chip).
ASUS Tuf series is mediocre in terms of VRM, better than Prime series but inferior to Strix and Maximus series. Also the difference in terms of chipset quality between b, h and z.

_Dude_of_Rock_

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
The modern generations of Intel processors are deemed to run hot. They are supposed to be built with higher levels of fault tolerance in terms of thermals.
Having said that, a lot depends on your case cooling, ambient temperature, heatsink(which is fine here), case(which is also decent), and motherboard VRM(which is not the best for an unlocked chip).
ASUS Tuf series is mediocre in terms of VRM, better than Prime series but inferior to Strix and Maximus series.
Thanks for the reply, ah I get you in hindsight I probably should've gone with a better motherboard but I was kinda strapped for budget. I mean I'm not bothered about overclocking so thought it'd be enough, seems 13th gen really needs a beefcake of a system to keep under control haha 😅 I did try undervolting but the motherboard seems to half the clock speeds as soons as it's on anything other than auto and also single core performance takes a dive. Tried a manual voltage of 1.35v and got those results am I doing something wrong?

_Dude_of_Rock_

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Then the most effective option is probably a bigger cooler, unless you turn that off.
ABT is an opportunistic overclocking feature.
Then the most effective option is probably a bigger cooler, unless you turn that off.
ABT is an opportunistic overclocking feature.
The noctua is the biggest I can fit in my system tbh unless I go water-cooling but not experienced with that tbh, just turned off abt and any Asus boosting and it's still thermal throttles 🤦

Do you run cinebench all the time in production?
Or, do you do more normal things like gaming?
If you consistently load all cores, then you will push the 100c throttle point with all but the very strongest of coolers.
Gaming that pushes a couple of cores will generate much less heat.
But, so long as you do not fail, that is not all bad.
It just means that the cpu is doing the best it can with what it has to work with.

I found this article on cooling a 13900K with a variety of coolers to be interesting:
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/intel-core-13900k-cooling-tested

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The noctua is the biggest I can fit in my system tbh unless I go water-cooling but not experienced with that tbh, just turned off abt and any Asus boosting and it's still thermal throttles 🤦
Post some pictures of the case's interior, that we can see the case and cpu cooler fans. - please remove the glass panel, to avoid certain reflections.
You must use an image hosting site to post pictures here. Here's one how to: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/image-posting-via-imgur.3773266/

Also, take note of the max power the cpu uses with ABT on and off, and let us know what those are.

_Dude_of_Rock_

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Okay I'll give it a go, it definitely can't keep

Do you run cinebench all the time in production?
Or, do you do more normal things like gaming?
If you consistently load all cores, then you will push the 100c throttle point with all but the very strongest of coolers.
Gaming that pushes a couple of cores will generate much less heat.
But, so long as you do not fail, that is not all bad.
It just means that the cpu is doing the best it can with what it has to work with.

I found this article on cooling a 13900K with a variety of coolers to be interesting:
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/intel-core-13900k-cooling-tested
Ah okay so that's quite normal for the d15? Oh yeah for sure, gaming has much better temps. Well I was thinking of trying out blender in the future as I'm getting into digital art but I think I'll just stick with Photoshop for now haha 😂 but thanks for that article link, that applies to i5 13600k too?

_Dude_of_Rock_

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Post some pictures of the case's interior, that we can see the case and cpu cooler fans. - please remove the glass panel, to avoid certain reflections.
You must use an image hosting site to post pictures here. Here's one how to: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/image-posting-via-imgur.3773266/

Also, take note of the max power the cpu uses with ABT on and off, and let us know what those are.
Ok will do :) just a heads up the noctua d15 looks hilarious with my matx board haha (didn't account for the coolers size when I was pc shopping) so it's a bit close for comfort to the GPU but it fits.

_Dude_of_Rock_

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014

View: https://imgur.com/a/81PQTpv
gonna test what you said now

_Dude_of_Rock_

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
There are a number of boost technologies.
I think some may be unique to I9 processors.

Fwiw, I used a NH-D15 in a MATX build and got outstanding cooling.
Oh nice! Well I wanted to go matx hence the board I chose but the pop air mini was out of stock for weeks so just ended up going with the mid tower. Honestly though it was such a nice case to work with so I'm glad I got it :)

_Dude_of_Rock_

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014

Well with abt on it's flat out 181 with or without abt on. I mean tbh I'm just being over cautious I don't think I'll really realistically be running these workloads. Just tested there and it's actually getting about 97 degrees consistently so I guess that's an improvement haha

but in stress tests its shooting up to 97 to 100 degrees in under a minute.
I would disable abt but it really hurts clock speeds so don't know what to do.
ABT will push until the CPU hits 100 degrees, that's what it's made for.
If you mobo has MCE enabled (all core turbo) then turn that off, games usually don't need all cores to run at max.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/xl/es/gaming/resources/how-intel-technologies-boost-cpu-performance.html
Intel® Adaptive Boost TechnologyOpportunistically increases all-core turbo frequency when current, power, and thermal headroom exists. Works below a temperature limit of 100°C.
Just use intel XTU to make profiles for blender or anything else that will be running heavy workloads for long times to make those run at lower clocks, blender will not run noticeably slower with a few hundred Mhz less on a few cores.

Reactions: _Dude_of_Rock_
Solution

TRENDING THREADS