Question intel i5-2400 cpu turbo boost Is not working in Fortnite

Jun 5, 2020
when i use it for chrome or anything else not fortnite it works well go to 3.4Ghz
but when i launche the game
when im in the lobbies of the game is go to 3.1 or 2.9 it only on that do go up ever there is no high temp or anything i updated all my computer drivers but nothing happen also change version of windows from 10 to 7 also reinstalled the game but nothing change
turbo boost is enabled from bios
how can i fix that i checked alot and alot of youtube videos but nothing is working
i have a
i5-2400
GTX 1050
8 GB ram
500 Gb HHD

D

Deleted member 2720853

What is your chassis? What is your case airflow like? How do you have your fans set up?
also change version of windows from 10 to 7
This won't fix anything. In fact, going from 10 to 7 is a major downgrade. Hard to believe, I know. But it's true.

Reactions: Hamassous
Jun 5, 2020
What is your chassis? What is your case airflow like? How do you have your fans set up?

This won't fix anything. In fact, going from 10 to 7 is a major downgrade. Hard to believe, I know. But it's true.
i dont know really im new in this domain but i bought it like that is not me who built
also motherboard is cool and not hot in temp

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Intel turbo is misleading. Turbo is a variable usage. Chrome or whatever is only using One core, so that core can safely Turbo to the max settings. Fortnite is using upto all 4 cores, so turbo is restricted to a lower speed by the Intel set power limits. 3400 MHz (1 core) 3300 MHz (2 or 3 cores) 3200 MHz (4 cores).

If you have a Z or H rated motherboard with a x68/x77 chipset, that can be manually overclocked upto 400MHz by changing the turbo multiplier.

I don't see any reason for any game to drive speeds below the base 3.1GHz of the cpu unless there's an issue such as temps or worn out cpu/VRM's not allowing full rated speeds. If it's just fortnite and no other program does this, I'd suspect it's a game issue, not an actual hardware issue.

If you use coretemp/Realtemp and task manager at the same time as running Prime95 small fft and your speeds/temps are as they should be for 4 core heavy usage, I'd be almost certain that fortnite is bunk and can be ignored.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020
Intel turbo is misleading. Turbo is a variable usage. Chrome or whatever is only using One core, so that core can safely Turbo to the max settings. Fortnite is using upto all 4 cores, so turbo is restricted to a lower speed by the Intel set power limits. 3400 MHz (1 core) 3300 MHz (2 or 3 cores) 3200 MHz (4 cores).

If you have a Z or H rated motherboard with a x68/x77 chipset, that can be manually overclocked upto 400MHz by changing the turbo multiplier.
i have a biostar motherboard model H61MGV3 i thing no overclocking option is available on it

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's an x61 chipset (H61xxxx) so no OC available other than BCLK manipulation. It only worked for lga1155 cpus on those 2 chipsets. It was one of those things Intel was testing out for viability and usage, just like the short-lived Lucid Logic ability to basically tie in igpu usage to discrete gpu usage for better picture quality.

Jun 5, 2020
That's an x61 chipset (H61xxxx) so no OC available other than BCLK manipulation. It only worked for lga1155 cpus on those 2 chipsets. It was one of those things Intel was testing out for viability and usage, just like the short-lived Lucid Logic ability to basically tie in igpu usage to discrete gpu usage for better picture quality.
really i dont know what to do but ill play on base clock till i find a fix