Intel i5 3570k really high temps

eggnew

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
When I play a game like War Thunder, my CPU can get up to around 60C (140F). I have the stock cooler on it, with a front intake and rear exhaust on my case. My question is, does the CPU run so hot because I am using the integrated graphics until I can buy a separate GPU, or because I need to upgrade the CPU cooler

Solution
That temperature is absolutely fine for the stock cooler and not at all "hot". The only time you should worry is if you ever start hitting past the 70-80s, which would probably be indicative of a dust-clogged cooler that needs cleaning. If you're really worried about the CPU burning out, don't be. Intel chips don't even reach a thermal throttle point until after 90C, and if they hit over 100C, they'll automatically shut down to prevent damage. If you want to maintain lower temperatures to extend its longevity as much as possible, buy an aftermarket cooler that's more substantial than the crumpled-up soda can Intel calls a cooler.

eggnew

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
Really? On the stuff that I was reading, it was saying that for my CPU 140F is on the high end of the temp range. What would be considered too high for an i5?

MT6Anime

Honorable
Jul 17, 2014

Once it gets to 80C you have a small problem if you hit 90C turn it off cause it will burn out.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1733405/3570k-70c-safe-temp.html

Again if your worried you can easily get an after market cooler for cheap and it does't have to be a water cooler.

eggnew

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
Okay thanks, I should be good then. Once I get that GPU do you think it'll take some of the load off the CPU? I may just get an aftermarket cooler if it stays in the same range just to be on the safe side

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
That temperature is absolutely fine for the stock cooler and not at all "hot". The only time you should worry is if you ever start hitting past the 70-80s, which would probably be indicative of a dust-clogged cooler that needs cleaning. If you're really worried about the CPU burning out, don't be. Intel chips don't even reach a thermal throttle point until after 90C, and if they hit over 100C, they'll automatically shut down to prevent damage. If you want to maintain lower temperatures to extend its longevity as much as possible, buy an aftermarket cooler that's more substantial than the crumpled-up soda can Intel calls a cooler.

Solution