Intel i5 4440 with GTX 1060 6GB

pc-freak

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
Hi,
My brother gets some fps drops on ultra settings even high with his PC. Rest of the games run fine, he is just having a problem with this game. Do you think he needs more ram?

PC build:
Intel i5 4440
Asus GTX 1060 6GB
8GB RAM
128GB SSD
1TB HDD

Solution

I would say it is. You have a decent build, but you will need to get that CPU since BF1 is one of the few games that really takes advatnage of additional threads.

BattosaiUK

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017
If you open Task Manager you can check hardware resources such as cpu / memory usage while playing the game. If you are not hitting 100% then its possible game is not optimized properly.

If you also write problematic game name others might have better suggestions.

pc-freak

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014

Hi, thanks for replying,
I thought I wrote the game, my mistake. He is having problems with running battlefield 1, on maximum settings, it's the only game he is having major problems with.
I didn't check his temps, which should I check, gpu or cpu?

BF1 is an extremely CPU dependent game. Assuming that he's playing in 1080p resolution, ultra settings, what FPS is he experiencing? Is this a campaign or 64 person multiplayer? If my assumption is correct, then his best move is to buy a i7-4790k for his LGA 1150 socket motherboard, and sell the i5-4440. If you want to confirm, then open task manager and set it to "always on top" (options -> always on top). Then run and play the game. Is the CPU usage 80+ %? If so, then a CPU upgrade is warranted.

pc-freak

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014

Thanks,
He is getting around 40-50 with drops, he says "it lags". Even though other games run fine. It was on multiplayer.
Is upgrading to an i7-4790k more sensible than building a new PC ?

I would say it is. You have a decent build, but you will need to get that CPU since BF1 is one of the few games that really takes advatnage of additional threads.

Solution