intel i5-4460 speed issue

atom715

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Hey guys, I just built a computer with an intel i5-4460 and when i open the task manager to see the speed of my cpu it is running at about 26% and resting at about 3.33 GHz speed. Why is the speed so high when the utilization is not.

Solution
Task manager is not reliable for actual speed but 26% usage is plenty high to go to full speed. Use cpuz. It's also more efficient to get work done quicker then go back to idle and being at full speed does very little to power/heat. But you should be much lower, like <3% idle and it'll be at a lower speed. Go check what is using it.
Task manager is not reliable for actual speed but 26% usage is plenty high to go to full speed. Use cpuz. It's also more efficient to get work done quicker then go back to idle and being at full speed does very little to power/heat. But you should be much lower, like <3% idle and it'll be at a lower speed. Go check what is using it.

Solution
Bursts; This is normal, especially if doing updates in the background or other maintenance tasks. It is kind of hard to explain...but at certain times your cpu will hit 100 % but only utilize that speed at a certain % of the time. So in your situation, it appears that it is using 3.33 Ghz speed at about 26% of the time.

If after a day or so, and no real change, and a few reboots, then look and see what is using the cpu's time. your utilization is kind of high for not doing anything, but that is probably just because of what I stated in my first sentence or two.