Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
My Specs are;

i5 4570 3.2ghz
Zotac GTX 960 4GB
4x4 1600mhz Hyperx Fury Ram
MSI z87-g43 Military Edition mobo
CM Seidon 120v (The oldest version) CPU Water Cooler

It is quite obvious that i am not going to gain anything by changing the CPU Ratio since it is a non K Intel cpu therefore it is locked. Intel Turbo Boost tech is something that works only while the system is idle. I really see no Performance gain at all by that. CPU is working at 3.4ghz stable and never boosting under load like in Cinebench R20 or while gaming (didnt really tested in gaming tho). Also tried the 'OC Genie' thing on the BIOS which showed a CPU ratio of 36 on Fixed but didn't really work like that once i booted to Windows it was just 34, so i just turned that thing off too. So there seems to be only one thing left to improve the performance (Other than upgrading the hardware, which looks quite impossible atm since it is a 1150 socket mobo and a cpu with ddr3 RAM's if i want to upgrade, i will need to upgrade Mobo, CPU and Rams, quite like building a new PC) it is the BCLK Overclocking. I've made a few tries on my own and saw some good improvement in performance at 102-105 BCLK without changing the Core Voltage (Which stayed at Auto).

Now the actual question is, my CPU supports at max 1600Mhz Memory. But since BCLK also overclocks the Rams it is going higher than that like above 1700Mhz. Is this going to make any problems in short term? Is BCLK generally alright since i will keep on a reasonable level? Should i change anything else than BCLK while doing that like Core Voltage? Is increasing BCLK safe in this case, or how safe?

I am also fine if there is a way to make this CPU work at 3.6-3.5ghz across all cores. Or since Turbo isn't doing anything under load im still ok if i can just make 2 cores work at 3.6 and 3.4 rest or something like that.

Last edited:
Solution
Turbo speed is dependent on how many cores are being used. For you it's 3.4=4 cores, 3.5=3 cores, 3.6=1-2 cores. Background processes should not be taxing enough to initiate turbo. You are not idling. You have something sucking a notable amount of power. 10% usage? 10% is quite a lot of your performance being stolen from you.

Bclk on your platform is tied to everything. Sata, usb, ram, pcie, everything. You can only raise it a little before these go out of spec. Once you go out of that, one of the many things can have errors and an error on sata can be a file that's get corrupted as it is written. You may not know it's happening as nothing checks file integrity constantly but it can happen.
Idle means when your cpu is not doing anything. That's the opposite of how turbo works when it only works at load. Speedstep drops the speed to 800mhz? at idle while turbo raises the speed up to 3.6 at load. You should see a performance gain with turbo on although very little considering 4 core turbo is only 3.4ghz, not much over the nominal 3.2ghz, but something nonetheless.

1600 is not the max it supports, it's just the stock speed. As long as the ram is stable at that speed, you oced it like anything else. As long as bclk isn't too far out of spec, it'll be fine. It's generally not recommended because it's connected to everything including sata and usb which can cause file corruption. It's also hardly an increase in speed as 105 is just 3.6ghz over your stock 3.4ghz turbo. You should watch what the vcore changed to when you changed bclk. Auto will raise it.

Unfortunately there really isn't any ocing worthwhile for your cpu.

berbat88

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
Idle means when your cpu is not doing anything. That's the opposite of how turbo works when it only works at load. Speedstep drops the speed to 800mhz? at idle while turbo raises the speed up to 3.6 at load. You should see a performance gain with turbo on although very little considering 4 core turbo is only 3.4ghz, not much over the nominal 3.2ghz, but something nonetheless.

1600 is not the max it supports, it's just the stock speed. As long as the ram is stable at that speed, you oced it like anything else. As long as bclk isn't too far out of spec, it'll be fine. It's generally not recommended because it's connected to everything including sata and usb which can cause file corruption. It's also hardly an increase in speed as 105 is just 3.6ghz over your stock 3.4ghz turbo. You should watch what the vcore changed to when you changed bclk. Auto will raise it.

Unfortunately there really isn't any ocing worthwhile for your cpu.

Thanks for the answer.

I literally don't get any of my cores above 3.4ghz under 100% load like while rendering in cinebench. The only time the Turbo boost is turboing above 3.4ghz is while the system is at idle with aroung 10% utilization across all cores on the desktop without running anything else except the background processes. So, effectively i am only getting a boost to 3.4ghz from 3.2ghz which is better than nothing as you have said but theorically i should be able to get a little more than that.

And i actually never heard about BCLK causing these kind of problems like file corruption, can you explain it little more if possible?

Turbo speed is dependent on how many cores are being used. For you it's 3.4=4 cores, 3.5=3 cores, 3.6=1-2 cores. Background processes should not be taxing enough to initiate turbo. You are not idling. You have something sucking a notable amount of power. 10% usage? 10% is quite a lot of your performance being stolen from you.

Bclk on your platform is tied to everything. Sata, usb, ram, pcie, everything. You can only raise it a little before these go out of spec. Once you go out of that, one of the many things can have errors and an error on sata can be a file that's get corrupted as it is written. You may not know it's happening as nothing checks file integrity constantly but it can happen.

Solution