Intel I5 4570

Ionutt3

Honorable
Apr 2, 2015
Hello world, I need your help and suggestions becaus I want to upgrade from my I5 - 4570 to an I7 - 8700, and I do not know if it's worth the upgrade, I am working as a photographer and videographer, and many times I am rendering videos 1080p and 4k, and I would like to cut that time in half atleast. So my question for you is, is it worth it? Will I see noticeable speed in rendering times from the 4570? How many years I won't be upgrading my pc? some extra information, I curently have 8 GB DDR3 and a Nvidia Jetstream 970. And when I upgrade the processor I want to get and 16 GB DDR4. So what do you think?

Solution
The 8700 is more well rounded. It has excellent multithreaded performance, and exceptional single core performance. Ryzen can hold its own and then some in embarrassingly parallel tasks (like video rendering) but it can't match the single threaded performance, which includes most games. About the highest you can expect a non-liquid nitrogen cooled Ryzen to hit is 4.2 GHz, if you're extremely lucky. The 8700 has stock single core turbo of 4.6 GHz and an all core turbo of 4.3 GHz. The unlocked K versions mostly seem able to hit 4.9 GHz all core. And clock for clock, Ryzen is already slower than all the -lake processors.

So if you're a gamer, the 8700 or 8700k is an easy decision if it's within your budget. Or if you're like most people...
Here's a couple Handbrake benchmarks:

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS84L1YvNzE3MDA3L29yaWdpbmFsL2ltYWdlMDAyLnBuZw==

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS84L1UvNzE3MDA2L29yaWdpbmFsL2ltYWdlMDAxLnBuZw==

Standard caveat, this is just one test with settings that may favor one CPU over another.

Your current CPU would be closest to the i5 7600k on that chart, but (very) roughly 15-20% slower due to a combination of clockspeed, IPC, and memory improvements. The 8700 is basically an 8700k clocked about 2-3% lower with a locked multiplier and a stock cooler. On the back of a napkin that does look right about half the rendering time. You may also want to consider a Ryzen based system, since you're already committed to a new mobo and RAM either way. Finding an i7 Coffee Lake CPU right now is almost impossible and they haven't even released the non-Z series motherboards yet which would all add to the cost.

Also a ryzen 1700 can almost always oc the 4ghz and run at the same max speed the 1800x can for a lot less money.

Ionutt3

Honorable
Apr 2, 2015
Hmm interesting answers guys, but I wouldn't OC, because i do not know how, and the idea of oc'ing terrifies me,heh . The ryzen seems awesome but why do I read on the internet that the 8700 is a ryzen killer?

Don't worry about not knowing how to oc any asus and msi board has an auto safe oc option that you can turn on with the flip of a switch and get a 1800x for a fraction of the price.

The 8700 beats ryzen in applications that are less heavily threaded but otherwise they go head to head in most productivity applications.

The 8700 is more well rounded. It has excellent multithreaded performance, and exceptional single core performance. Ryzen can hold its own and then some in embarrassingly parallel tasks (like video rendering) but it can't match the single threaded performance, which includes most games. About the highest you can expect a non-liquid nitrogen cooled Ryzen to hit is 4.2 GHz, if you're extremely lucky. The 8700 has stock single core turbo of 4.6 GHz and an all core turbo of 4.3 GHz. The unlocked K versions mostly seem able to hit 4.9 GHz all core. And clock for clock, Ryzen is already slower than all the -lake processors.

So if you're a gamer, the 8700 or 8700k is an easy decision if it's within your budget. Or if you're like most people (and especially most companies) and like to stick with what you've known. For rendering and transocding, an OC'd 1700 can offer better value if you're able to OC and dial in memory settings. And of course if money is no object there are HEC options like Threadripper and the 7900x.

Solution