Question Intel I5-4690k at 99 degrees Celsius at Bios and idling at 70 degrees

Mar 8, 2020
For some context I’ve had this computer for 5 years and I just noticed this problem now.

At bios the temp is showing 99 degrees Celsius and using other hardware monitors it’s showing at 90-98 degrees Celsius under load from games but idling at 70 ish.

I replaced the thermal solution on the cpu just now and basically the same thing is still happening. I’m nowhere near a hardware guru so I could really use some help.

Mar 8, 2020
I can tell this is causing a lot of bottle neckin when playing games, because there’s no way my computer should be running fortnite on lowest settings at top 40 FPS with gtx 1050 ti. I’m using an intel E97378-001 cooler.

Last edited:
the CPU in question is an 88W TDP CPU, officially....

Where did the cooler come from? (Did it perhaps come from a 65w TDP CPU?)

If you fan is turning, and you have thermal compound.....is the sink actually hot to the touch? (Are you sure it is secured/locked down correctly?)

Reactions: Bibbidi
Mar 8, 2020
You need to post your PC's complete specs.

What do you mean, by "I replaced the thermal solution"? You replaced the cpu cooler, or the thermal paste - or both?

The thermal paste. I honestly believe it may be solved after toying with the cpu cooler fit and thinning the paste I just applied.

I’ll update you in about 20 minutes.

Mar 8, 2020
the CPU in question is an 88W TDP CPU, officially....

Where did the cooler come from? (Did it perhaps come from a 65w TDP CPU?)

If you fan is turning, and you have thermal compound.....is the sink actually hot to the touch? (Are you sure it is secured/locked down correctly?)

Actually the cooler has some messed up brackets but I tweaked them a little bit to get a tighter fit. It’s not the most secure thing right now, but it’s fitted and as long as my computer doesn’t get knocked around it should be fine until I get a new cooler. I appreciate the help, and I believe I’ve fixed it. Idling now around 34-42 degrees, about 65 degrees under load