Intel i5 4690K

Status
Not open for further replies.

lin441

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
Hey I just bought myself intel i5 4690K and i was thinking to overclocking since I'm streaming.
Can someone please tell me till what ghz i should overclock it and what should i change in the cpu settings.
My setup
Cpu-Intel i5 4690K
Motherboard-Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Game Plus
Ram-8gb 2133
Graphics Card-2x Asus GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II OC
PSU-Corsair CX750

insider9

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016

Would be interested to know what you've managed to achieve? I'm considering getting the same motherboard and already ordered i5-4690k. Thanks

I managed 4.5Ghz at 1.2v which seems quite a bit over average, I got fairly lucky it seems. I can still go higher but I don't see the need yet.

insider9

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016

That's a great result. Thanks for your answer. Just one more thing I should've asked straight away.

What heatsink are you using?

The Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO, which can handle about 1.22v for me, any higher and the temps are higher than I'd like.

insider9

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016

That's great. I was hoping you're not going to say Noctua as that would blow my budget for the third time in a few days. And that's exactly what I'm planning to use. It's a relief to know it will cope. I don't want to go any higher than 4.5GHz anyway.

Thanks a lot for your time

You may only get 4.3Ghz depending on how much voltage your chip will need to reach such speeds but that's more than enough, I don't notice the difference between 4.3 and 4.5 except in benchmarks. Good luck :)

SkillNye

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

If I were you, I'd go with the i5-6600K because it's a newer socket, newer technology, it's better than the i5-4690K by a little bit, it's only about $30 more expensive, and you won't have to worry about upgrading your RAM, MOBO, or CPU anytime soon because the newer processor socket makes you upgrade everything else. That's unless you are just upgrading your CPU, then that's a totally different story.

insider9

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016

Yes, I considered that. My son is 15 so I'm building this with 3 year lifespan in mind. Then he's free to do whatever he wants ;) Just this Xmas I upgraded his i3-2120 to second hand i7-2600 (LGA 1155). It used to be small form factor pc a while back but we were improving it as we went along.

He managed to run Fallout 4 on min-med settings with EVGA GTX 750Ti SC. We had a slight issue with cooling on stock heatsink. As I was installing an Arctic Freezer Pro 7 I did something to the motherboard. Since then only one slot of ram worked and the pc wouldn't see GPU anymore.

At that point I decided enough is enough and decided we're building from scratch. We spent quite a bit this Christmas so would rather keep the cost down therefore "older" tech. I'm trying to stick to quality components though and been reading this forum for hours each day for over a week. We're also reusing what we already have such as one stick of ram and peripherals. And going to go with one GPU to start with due to cost.

One last unknown is a motherboard which I can't decide but MSI looks good. Suggestions are welcome though:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Nx7x7P

Thanks in advance

SkillNye

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

I've actually been planning on building a secondary machine around $1000 strictly for streaming some games. Keep in mind it's 2 760's instead of 1, just pcpartpicker doesn't show. Also, GIGABYTE and MSI used to be bad back in the day, but I've actually build 2 peoples computers with MSI graphics cards and MOBO's and they aren't that bad anymore. Here is what I built:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/T2m9Vn
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/T2m9Vn/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($153.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $748.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-05 16:19 EST-0500

rwoody

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015

Terrible quality control in the last few years. Lot's of DOA boards, non-working ram slots, dead audio...the list goes on. The other big 3 (Asus/Gigabyte/ASRock) had their share too, but MSI had a high number in relation to the others. It's hard to come back from a bad rap. About the only thing that saved MSI was their Krait Gaming mobo. When black and white builds became a thing, MSI was one of the only (still are) that had a mobo that was exclusively black and white.

insider9

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
Thanks Sergeant_Sneaky, you've been a great help. I will look into that. Also thanks rwoody for clarifying. Knowing that I'd rather go with Asus or Gigabyte. Never had a thing for ASRock, but my last build was on AMD Duron when it came out 16 years ago. ASRock wasn't even on the market then. And if I remember it right it was on a MSI motherboard at that computer probably still runs till this day. Shame they've gone downhill.

SkillNye thanks for your comments too and the suggestions. The system looks good. Very good discount on psu :)

rwoody

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015
If you find an ASRock you like, I would consider it. They started out after branching off from Asus with the intent to create a line of affordable motherboards that could compete with them. I'd say they do a very good job of that.

SkillNye

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

Coming from someone who has a Asus mother board...... Lol okay bro. ASRock is okay, for people on a budget. But Asus is better IMO.

rwoody

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015

You're right, I have an Asus board. Doesn't mean it's the only one I have. And yeah they have more experience with motherboards, but that doesn't mean that everyone should buy one just because they're "better". That's like saying everyone should buy a Mercedes because they're more expensive than every other car.

By saying "ASRock is okay, for people on a budget." you basically are insulting anyone that has an ASRock mobo, as if they are lesser human beings for not owning an Asus motherboard. Apparently only the rich people are allowed to have Asus. I'm far from rich-I had to save for 4 months to get enough cash for my Asus motherboard.

My second favorite board (and is also my backup) is the ASRock Z170 Extreme 6. It's packed with tons of features and is a great value. The only reason I'm not using it right now is my current theme is black and white, and the ASRock board is black and orange. I'm not trying to convince you to buy it-just that ASRock isn't a bad brand. Value is their MO. They have great options in their lineup for some people.

And I'm not your "bro".

I agree, my last board was ASRock and I had 0 issues, I'd recommend them from my experience.

SkillNye

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

ASRock is made for budget builds. Yes they are very good for their price, and my brother has one in his build. They are cheap motherboards for cheap builds. To prove my point, let's look at the cheapest/most expensive ASRock vs cheapest/most expensive Asus.

ASRock
Cheapest: $29.99 Retail
Most Expensive: $649.99 Retail

Asus
Cheapest: $37.99 Retail
Most Expensive: $784.99 Retail

That right there, proves my point. Asus has more expensive motherboards. And the only reason I even said anything in the first place is because I thought you were dissing Asus. But it's clear you weren't, so I'm sorry for the confusion.

rwoody

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015

Do you actually know anything about motherboards, or are you just looking up comparisons on Newegg as you go along? Yes, you proved that Asus makes more expensive motherboards overall. That doesn't necessarily make them better than any other brand for a given consumer. Sure, Asus is more expensive at the top end and ASRock is less expensive at the low end. It means nothing. It definitely does not mean that high end builds can't have ASRock, and it also definitely does not mean that low end builds can't have Asus motherboards.

Regardless of price point, every consumer is free to choose whichever brand they like for any given build, be it a budget build or high end. Do you really think the marketing team at ASRock sat down in some conference room and said "Okay people, scratch all of our quality high-end features, we only supply cheap motherboards for low end builds." Just because they cost a whole $8 less on the low end, and $130 less on the high end, does not mean ASRock is only designed for low end builds. And just because Asus costs more does not mean they are only meant for high end builds. It's not always about how much it costs.

My original point stands. Quit labeling and discriminating brands based on how much money they charge for their products. And consumers (and their builds) don't deserve to be labeled "cheap" just because they wanted more value instead of paying for the most expensive product available.

SkillNye

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

But usually, you do tend to pay more for better. Also, you are wrong about Asus being in low end builds. If you're trying to spend less on performance, then you aren't going to go with something more expensive, unless it really makes a difference. Another thing I want to point out, I wasn't discriminating or saying ASRock is bad because they are cheaper. Actually, like I said, me and my brother both have exactly the same RAM, GPU, CPU and PSU, but with different motherboards. His being an ASRock and mine being a GIGABYTE, there is absolutely no difference in performance when it comes to gaming or really anything. They are both around the same price point. $109 - $119. So like I said in my previous comment, I'm not dissing Asus or ASRock, I was simply proving my point that Asus is more expensive than ASRock. You're basically saying, price doesn't matter. Oh yeah, so I'm gunna go buy a GTX 760 over a 980 TI because price doesn't matter. No shit dude there are differences in the 2 products, because apparently I can't read specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.