Intel i5 8600k Overclocking help??

Dec 4, 2018
So, I recently got my PC and it came with a 8600k, so I thought I’d try and overclock it since the opportunity is there, however I have no idea what I’m doing. I followed a YouTube video and set it to 4.5Ghz and 1.15V. My question is.. can someone post an ideal Overclocking profile for 4.8Ghz? I’ll post my PC specs if needed.. thanks in advance

Solution

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
This program will help display voltage, clock speeds, temps. etc for most of your hardware. Here is an example of overclocking. My stock speed for my chip (i5 6600k) is 3.9 at 1.22V. I then entered the bios and set the multiplier to 41 (4.1Ghz) and set the voltage to 1.24V. Now this is only an example of what i did before to bump up the numbers. For testing for stability i suggest programs like cinebench or Prime95. Or you can simply play games as usually and wait for crashing. But most...
Oct 20, 2017
4.5 with a 1.15 voltage is pretty low. Like bmockeg suggested its better to start from stock and work your way up to a stable OC. Never rush a overclock, these things take time. To give you a scale of voltage ranges. I have a i5 6600k overclocked to 4.5 on 1.28V. I would say 1.4v would be the max for everyday use on your chip

Oct 20, 2017

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
This program will help display voltage, clock speeds, temps. etc for most of your hardware. Here is an example of overclocking. My stock speed for my chip (i5 6600k) is 3.9 at 1.22V. I then entered the bios and set the multiplier to 41 (4.1Ghz) and set the voltage to 1.24V. Now this is only an example of what i did before to bump up the numbers. For testing for stability i suggest programs like cinebench or Prime95. Or you can simply play games as usually and wait for crashing. But most importantly keep eye of your temps. I think anything below 75C would be good. The main point is to slowly increase the CPU clock to your liking and once you find your stable clock. You can lower the voltage which will lower temps and increase the life span of the CPU. I also suggest once you have found a stable overclock set the voltage to adaptive to save energy and have better lifespan in the future. Adaptive will lower the CPU voltage with the clock when idle. But when entering a load they will increase to the set target in the bios

Solution
Dec 4, 2018
Hey guys, I got really eager and twinkered around with the settings and somehow I think I’ve found something stable. I’m running 4.8Ghz at 1.27 volts. Done 12 Cinebench tests and averaged a score of 1134. I had 45c when not doing anything and 75-77c at 100% usage. These are pretty good results yeah? What are the next steps to ensure that it’s working 100% so that I can stop messing around with the overclock?

Oct 20, 2017

You could try playing games and see how they perform. Those are very good results but if its stable, try lowing the voltage and that will also lower temps. But i think that might be the lowest voltage you can reach with that unit with that kind of clock speed. But you will never find out unless you try. ;)

Dec 4, 2018
Yeah I think I’ll just hop into some games and test out the new CPU speed. Although I’ve been desperately trying to get an OC I’m happy with, what does this actually help because I’m not sure? Is this for gaming or what does this actually help with?

Oct 20, 2017

Overclocking can help resolve bottlenecks with some cards. Overall CPU overclocking does not usually make a noticeable different in FPS, it does though make the system faster. GPU overclocking is mainly the factor that increases FPS

Dec 4, 2018
Oh right, I’ve got a slight overclock active on afterburner.. although I may push harder to match the performance on my CPU. Also, when running this Prime95 program.. what should I be monitoring? Temps, crashes or can I just leave it on for 8 hours without having to constantly monitor it