Intel i5 Cooling problem

AlExAlExAlEx

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Hello Guys,

I intend to buy the Intel i5, now my "problem".Many people told me that it will heat up too much with the stock cooler and that a custom one is a MUST, while that may be true, the custom they linked Cooler Master Hyper.As good as that one may be, it goes over my budget, will I be fine without one for 1/2 months? if not, can you recommend me a cheaper one?

Thanks,
Alex.

If you are keeping everything at stock (no overclocking) and not running the CPU full load all of the time (i.e., lots of encoding, folding, HPC) then the stock cooler will be fine for any period of time (forever).

AlExAlExAlEx

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Well I intend to play rather "big" games, such as Crysis 2, CoD: Black Ops Multiplayer.Won't that load the CPU? cause I tend to play 6 hours without any breaks :D

You still will be fine. Yes, they will load the CPU up a bit, but rarely all 4 cores at 100%. Remember, although the stock cooler is not great, Intel designed it to be good enough at stock speeds. And if in your original post you are saying in 1 to 2 months you can get a Hyper 212+, then you really have nothing to worry about. The Hyper 212+ is a very good cooler, and a great cooler for its original price (where I am in the USA some stores started marking it up due to its popularity).

AlExAlExAlEx

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Ouch I said, what other cooler you recommend? like, I don't want to cheap out, but 60$ is alot for a cooler.Something around half, 30$ is ok.(That would mean around 15$ for newegg.com)

Do they sell this one in your area? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

It is still $30 on Newegg, but that is another common one and I want to see if they are marking up all of the coolers, or just the 212+.

If the limit really is under $15 on Newegg, that would be difficult. Many of those aren't a ton better than the stock cooler, and I don't have much experience with them.

With the stock cooler, a 2500K should hit a hair over 70C with all cores maxed. This temp is safe for the chip to run at, and while running games it should be much lower (50-60C range). Assuming you have decent case airflow of course (but a better cooler won't help you if you don't have that anyway).

What are your ambient/room temps where you will be using the computer?

walterm

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Xigmatek Loki, Cooler Master TX3, Scythe Katana 3, OCZ Vendetta? TUNIQ 120 Tower.
If you can find used coolers heat pipes are reputed not to wear out. Keeps the prices up.
Arctic Freezer 7 PRO Rev 2 is in the better than stock catagory.
Better you list what's avalable there.

Cooler master doesnt list the Hyper TX3 as being supported on Socket 1155 so I would have to say hold off and stay with the Intel® stock HSF until you can afford a better one.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

walterm

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
If you are paying about double $ Prices a HYPER TX-3 is a reasonable purchase. It is "rated" for 130 watt CPUs but is marginal there.
For an I5 unless you are doing rediculous overclocking it will do very well. Comes with one 92 mm fan but you can add another if needed.

walterm

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
It is a pushpin design for socket 1156 and 775. As I understand it coolers for socket 1156 are good for 1155 with the exception of some back plates needing modification on some motherboards.

walterm

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
The Tx3 does not use a baking plate, and the "modifications" consist of filing, cutting , or grinding Small notches to clear mother board components "if necessaray".
Just for future reference.
If the Freezer 13 is comparably priced it should also be good.
There is a Freezer 13, FREEZER 13 PRO, LIMITED EDITION, and I think an Extreme version. Any of which will outperform a TX3.

AlExAlExAlEx

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Whoa.No thanks, cutting and grinding? At my first build? No.

I checked the others on the list, Couldn't find one and the rest were "not avaible at this time".

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
The Freezer 13 requires no modifications to be installed on an LGA1155 motherboard. It is a pushpin design, but is vastly improved from Intel's design. Unlike the Intel design, there's no concern of the pins coming unlocked as they push in and lock in place, and take a bit of effort to unlock (which you have to pull them out to do, unlike the Intel design where you turn the pin to unlock it).