Intel i5 default cooler vs custom cpu coolers

taimoorali007

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hi guyz

Hope you all are fine there. I was having some problem with my cpu temp after 2.5 years of using rig. And I decided to buy cooler for 40 to 50 bucks. Now things is I was thinking that why I wanna spend money before any solution. I opened my cpu stock cooler and thermal was bit worn out and there was open contact of heat sink and cpu my temp on playing hd games was reaching 80C.

I have i5 2400 on default clock and with good vent case and 5 -6 sickle flow fans with +ve airflow.

Just need suggestion should I get cooler or new thermal gonna do good as my area temp is 10-15C and dont use pc more than an hour or two.

My target is to save money and get SSD or bigger HDD by adding few more budget to my Cooler money. Thanks

Solution
If your cooler was working fine for you in the past then spending $5-10 on some new thermal paste should fix your problems.

Even if getting a new cooler there is no need to get one for $40-50. My Hyper 212Evo cost me ~$30 back in the day, and similar coolers go for ~$20-25, especially when on sale. This keeps my i7 at a nice easy 60*c under full load at 4.2GHz and is still quieter than the stock Intel cooler.

Keep in mind with the 2xxx series CPUs that the processor die is very long. Orienting an aftermarket cooler so that the heat pipes go left to right instead of the typical up and down will give more heat pipes better contact with the die allowing your system to run much cooler. This typically means that the fan will blow warm...

OriginalCadaver

Reputable
May 24, 2014
The coolers that come stock with intel CPUs are perfectly fine if you aren't overclocking. I would remove the cooler, clean the old thermal paste off the cpu and cooler then reapply new paste. If you wanted to get an after market cooler, the evo 212 is excellent and can be found for 20-30 dollars.

If your cooler was working fine for you in the past then spending $5-10 on some new thermal paste should fix your problems.

Even if getting a new cooler there is no need to get one for $40-50. My Hyper 212Evo cost me ~$30 back in the day, and similar coolers go for ~$20-25, especially when on sale. This keeps my i7 at a nice easy 60*c under full load at 4.2GHz and is still quieter than the stock Intel cooler.

Keep in mind with the 2xxx series CPUs that the processor die is very long. Orienting an aftermarket cooler so that the heat pipes go left to right instead of the typical up and down will give more heat pipes better contact with the die allowing your system to run much cooler. This typically means that the fan will blow warm air out the top of the case instead of out the back, so be sure that your case has ventilation on top if you are going to try this.

If not overclocking then the stock cooler with new paste is going to work just fine.

Solution