[SOLVED] intel i7-1065G7 vs AMD Ryzen 7 4700U

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi all, which CPU is better for things like MS Office, IE, google chrome, youtube videos, intel i7-1065G7 or AMD Ryzen 7 4700U? which benchmark should I be looking at for these types of applications?

Solution
Most of the components in the Dell are from Intel - they all work as a system - rather than a collection of parts... I am trying to find the article that talked about the different components that are Intel supplied (much more than the obvious TB/LAN/WIFI/BT parts).

I get great battery life in my Dell 13 2-in-1 (1065G7)- which was one of the most important metrics for replacing the older Dell 13 2-in-1.
While Dell sources the components from Intel, the high end laptop will have better battery life. An Inspiron 13 with the same battery, screen resolution, and CPU will not last as long on battery power as the XPS 13. While both are Dell & source parts from Intel, the XPS gets the better parts that are lower power.
for those tasks both are already pretty much overkill. the 4700 has a higher core count, but effectively unless you're working with very advanced Excel sheets or MS Access databases, you won't really notice a difference.
go for whatever is cheaper

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
what if I do photo editing?
Any modern processor is over kill for everything except to 8K video editing.

I have the Dell 13 2-in-1 with the 1065G7 - and it crushes everything I throw at it. If you can wait another month or so - the Tiger Lake 1165G7 will be out - which absolutely destroys the Renoir line in graphics (and = to a MX350) and the Renoir is only 17% ahead of the Intel, despite having 2x the CPU core count.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I need it for september and will be getting a Dell laptop. so tiger lake will not be used in dell laptops by september. anyways, just humour me, which of these CPUs is technically faster when it comes to MS Office, IE, google chrome, youtube and photoshop? I'm asking cause I know they are both overkill now, but who knows what I will be done in a year or two or three.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
I need it for september and will be getting a Dell laptop. so tiger lake will not be used in dell laptops by september. anyways, just humour me, which of these CPUs is technically faster when it comes to MS Office, IE, google chrome, youtube and photoshop? I'm asking cause I know they are both overkill now, but who knows what I will be done in a year or two or three.
A Raspberry Pi 3 could handle all of those tasks. I prefer Intel and I prefer Dell laptops/ultralights/2-in-1s - so for me, I would recommend the Dell with Ice Lake. You cannot beat Dell build quality, i like the non 16:9 screens (1920x1200). I buy my portables for 2 years - Dell 2-in-1 I had was almost 2 years old when I replaced it with the Ice Lake in early October - and the difference was night and day - excellent battery life as well.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
the 4700U uses less power and so the battery should last longer, no?
If it only came down the the CPU then maybe. Ice Lake is part of a whole system from Intel that reduces power on the unit as a whole. I get between 13 and 14 hours of moderate use - wife's identical machine gets a between 12 and 13. Power draw on a single component is not the only metric.

the 4700U uses less power and so the battery should last longer, no?
Depends on the other components in the system as well as your battery size. When Anandtech did a review of the Acer Swift 3, the Ryzen performed well in battery life tests. It looked even better when normalized for capacity. It didn't perform as well as the XPS 13 in battery life, however, the Acer is a LOT cheaper. The difference in components quality between the Acer and XPS 13 could have easily been the difference in power consumption.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
Depends on the other components in the system as well as your battery size. When Anandtech did a review of the Acer Swift 3, the Ryzen performed well in battery life tests. It looked even better when normalized for capacity. It didn't perform as well as the XPS 13 in battery life, however, the Acer is a LOT cheaper. The difference in components quality between the Acer and XPS 13 could have easily been the difference in power consumption.
Most of the components in the Dell are from Intel - they all work as a system - rather than a collection of parts... I am trying to find the article that talked about the different components that are Intel supplied (much more than the obvious TB/LAN/WIFI/BT parts).

I get great battery life in my Dell 13 2-in-1 (1065G7)- which was one of the most important metrics for replacing the older Dell 13 2-in-1.

While Dell sources the components from Intel, the high end laptop will have better battery life. An Inspiron 13 with the same battery, screen resolution, and CPU will not last as long on battery power as the XPS 13. While both are Dell & source parts from Intel, the XPS gets the better parts that are lower power.

Solution

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
Needless to say a $300-$500 laptop won't be getting the premium parts that an XPS class machine does. The Core i7 1065G7 is not available in the Inspiron Line - and that specific part was a requirement on my end.

EDIT - I did find the 1065G7 Inspiron - are these canned systems? - not seeing an option to select more RAM / SSD... 14" and 15" also odd the one I looked at is Qualcomm and not Intel WiFI.

Oh well I know what the low end of Dell looks like now, if nothing else. I will stick with XPS class machines.

High End line has High End features and a High End price.

Last edited:

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
i decided to buy an inspiron for my son instead of the XPS. He may need a better one when he starts university in 2 years. what's a canned system? one that you can't upgrade the ram or SDD? If so, you can upgrade either on an inspiron. is Qualcomm bad?

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
i decided to buy an inspiron for my son instead of the XPS. He may need a better one when he starts university in 2 years. what's a canned system? one that you can't upgrade the ram or SDD? If so, you can upgrade either on an inspiron. is Qualcomm bad?
by canned I mean you are buying a pre determined configuration - certain CPU with X amount of memory, and X sized SSD. When ordering the XPS class machine - you have pretty much complete control - determine CPU, determine display, determine amt of RAM and SSD.

Not a question of Qualcomm being bad, just on PCs generally you see the Intel options for WiFi and BT.

Sure he will be happy with the Inspiron - they are still a Dell.