Question Intel i7 11gen terrible performance - video streaming lag

Apr 15, 2024
Is it normal for a 3 year old "top model" laptop to struggle with online video streaming + browsing Reddit?

I had a desktop for a while and when it was upgrade time (desktop from 8 years ago, ran pretty well but wanted to sell it while it was still sell-able) I decided to just sell it and use my work provided laptop as a daily driver. Knowing that I wasn't that happy with the laptop (at work nor at home) but decided to put up for it and save the money since I was about to get a new laptop from work and had the option to purchase the older laptop for cheap... thinking that once I format the old (3 years) laptop and it's free from the corporate domain & polices I could "speed it up" a bit.

The laptop (Dell Latitude 7420 with 11th Gen Intel i7-1185G7, Intel Iris Xe, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD) now has a "minimal" Windows 11 install and almost no startup apps (just the essentials for audio and etc.). Idle the laptop uses about 2-4% CPU, 0% GPU and 9 GB RAM.

After a few months, I just had to post this thread and see what feedback I'm getting.

The laptop STRUGGLES with just playing any streaming video (YouTube, Amazon, Disney) @ just 720p@30FPS plus on the second monitor a website with any GIF movement, for example browsing 9Gag. It's very common that when a video is playing + a GIF starts then both drop to about 5-10 FPS or one just won´t play at all... I mean this is just a 3 year old i7...

Temperatures don´t seem to be the issue. Sure there is some times a thermal throttle, but not often. HWinfo shows about 50-60°c when this "lag" happens and then the CPU package is at about 45% and GPU is doing nothing. Seem like the CPU can just handle 50% load before "lagging". I've put the laptop at night to the chill window with even lower temps and the same happens... as soon as the CPU is at 45% or above everything just lags.

Powerplan is set to High performance and the CPU does reach it's 4.2Ghz boost speeds. I have not change any voltage or other over or under clocking settings, all stock.

Should a 3 year old i7 mobile not handle playing online videos and light browsing?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You could see if the laptop is pending any BIOS updates.

The laptop (Dell Latitude 7420 with 11th Gen Intel i7-1185G7, Intel Iris Xe, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD) now has a "minimal" Windows 11 install and almost no startup apps (just the essentials for audio and etc.). Idle the laptop uses about 2-4% CPU, 0% GPU and 9 GB RAM.
Where did you source the installer for the OS? As for the drivers, you state the essentials, did you manually install the drivers in an elevated command?

Apr 15, 2024
Thanks for the replies...

I guessing it's just a lame energy saving CPU (i7-1185G7). Cinebench results are 159 pts multi core. Temperatures where normal (under 58°c) but the CPU was throttles since it was running at 2.3 Ghz most of the time of the 3 Ghz base and 4.2 Ghz boost frequnecy. Wonder how I can boost it further since it should be able to run at 80°c with a higher hz...

Answers:
  • I did re-check and all essential motherboard/chipset drivers are installed and up to date.
  • BIOS is on next to latest verion
  • Internet speed is not the issue, although I am on Wi-Fi 6E the speed it stable at about 1 Gbps (fiber)
  • SSD is fine. It's a M.2 Gen3 with about 3300 MB/s read, 3000 MB/s write and 9% space utilization (think it's a Samsung.
  • The Windows 11 is directly from Microsoft. I have only disabled all tracking, background/startup apps. I will try an Linux ISO.