Intel i7 2600k Graphics

spartakush

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Can the Intel i7 2600k Sandy Bridge intergrated graphics alone handle Starcraft 2 on 1920x1080 on at least medium or high settings?

Umm....

No.

The new integrated Intel video is twice as powerful as the previous GMA 4500MHD, but that only puts a little faster than the HD 5450. See below benchmarks for SC2 with mainstream video cards. The HD 5450 isn't even listed 'cause it is a value level card.

SC_Mainstream.png

Source: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/starcraft2-wings-of-liberty_5.html#sect3

Which is why the engineering of these chips and motherboards is the stupidest thing ever. In order to use the integrated video on the unlocked chips (K), you must have a H-series motherboard, which defeats the purpose of buying a K series chip because the H series motherboard won't let you overclock it. However the best video chips are on these higher end unlocked cpu's, however you cannot use the video if you have the motherboard that allows you to overclock it (p67). Makes no sense whatsoever.

Intel engineers are smoking crack these days I think.

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008

Its not the most intuitive design descision :) I guess they're just saying the unlocked processors have 'everything' and charging you an extra $30... and sending you on your way...

I was going to say that the predicted X68 chipset motherboards are supposed to be like mash-up of the good features of H67 and P67, but when I looked at the wikipedia entry for it, it looks like its going to be a LGA2011 chipset... which doesn't do any good for a 2500K/2600K. Found a picture to confirm... a pile of posts here we pitching the X68 as the OC with integrated graphics savior... it appears its not (unless you buy an unlocked LGA2011 CPU in half a year... :p). I'm even more baffled now... :)

Other than the fact that most H67 boards are $30+ cheaper... you'd really want a P67 for your discrete graphics usage.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Z67 chipset - overclocking AND integrated graphics.

Just gotta wait until the end of the year.

But that being said, you really want a proper graphics card anyway if you're playing any fairly recent games, so P67 it is.

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008

Ahhhh.... *that's* the one I was hearing about. Thanks!

I agree. For the OP's situation, its definitely a discrete card... then the P67 is the obvious choice.
A H67 could work, just to save $20-30, but the features and freedom of the P67 boards are worth it. Go P67.

Good luck!