Intel I7-4710HQ laptop processor goes 100°C

Oct 10, 2018
Hi guys,

I hope you can help me with my problem. Recently bought used laptop, Asus N751JK.
Played CS:GO and started lagging (medium graphics). Checked with hardware monitor, CPU temp goes up to 100°C which as far as I understand is dangerous temp.

Reapplied thermal paste (Grizzly Aeronaut), opened bottom HDD case and put laptop on fan cooler, but it did not help. It still goes up to 100°C. (I attach image).
Room temperature is 21°C .

What else should I try ?
temp.png

Solution

No, some laptops use thermal paste for the cpu and gpu, and then they apply thermal pads to the vrms. They are usually 1mm or 0.5mm thick and stuck all over the inside of the heatsink. I was just making sure you didn't remove those on accident because some people do.

Apparently overheating is a known issue with that model. Are you confident in your...
Oct 10, 2018

Fan is working and I cleared dust very well.
I removed old thermal paste from CPU and cooler cover,cleaned with alcohol and applied new thermal paste.

Do you mean that “pad” is whats leftover from old thermal paste?

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018

No, some laptops use thermal paste for the cpu and gpu, and then they apply thermal pads to the vrms. They are usually 1mm or 0.5mm thick and stuck all over the inside of the heatsink. I was just making sure you didn't remove those on accident because some people do.

Apparently overheating is a known issue with that model. Are you confident in your applications of the thermal paste because too much can also cause overheating?

My guess is that the heatsink does not making good contact with the cpu die, and the thermal paste isn't able to do it's job. If that is the case, then you will probably need to buy a thermal pad to bridge gap between the cpu and the heatsink.

Solution
Oct 10, 2018

Well I did not remove anything else than thermal paste.
Then put one drop on CPU then spread it evenly. The same for heatsink. I got there very thin layer.
I'm not so deep into the computers, do not know where those vrms :)

I will check if heatsink makes good contact.

Do you think reducing CPU's max frequencies could help? (If nothing else will help).

I add my motherboard view:
n751.jpg

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
Oh, it doesn't look like your heatsink touches them really. There might be some under those copper arms but if you didn't remove any pads, then don't worry about it.

You should make sure your laptop is set to balanced so that the processor can scale down and then you can set the maximum processor state to something less than 100%. You should also consider undervolting the laptop because it really helps some people's heat issues. Here is a guide that you should read through before doing it: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-XTU-Undervolting-Guide.272120.0.html

Oct 10, 2018

Yesterday I had to replace my keyboard, some button did not work. So i decided to double check CPU and GPU thermal paste: looked good, spread evenly, nothing unusual. So I cleaned old paste, reapply a bit more on CPU, and slightly bend those small metal legs, so when heatsink screws in it gets more pressure to CPU. And what do you know, 85°C degrees was maximum what I could get ! Looks much better than 100°C :lol: Thank you for advises everyone!