Intel i7 4790k temperatures

Kazeone

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
Hi guys !
So it's been a week since i got my new build and I've been monitoring the temepratures closely.
I'm worried about the fact that while playing games like Wolfenstein : TNO or Watch Dogs the CPU temp under load reaches 80 degrees. I'm currently using a stock cooler but it still seems high to me. In idle I'm getting about 32 to 33. Is this normal or is it something I should worry about ? Thanks in advance.

peppyrook

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
Some of your cores are nearing or passing the threshold of your CPU's max temp.

Watch Dogs is poorly optimized for the PC and requires a decent CPU which results in your high temperatures, especially when you're just using your stock heatsink/cooler. An investment in an independent cooler is highly suggested, especially with a quality CPU like the 4790.

What's the dimensions of your case? And how bad/good is your cord management?

Shawk09

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
I have the same processor. It is rare, in idle I have 48º but 100% load I have 60º.

I have high temps in idle but low temps in load. I have stock cooler with Arctic Mx-4 thermal paste

Kazeone

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
I'm using the Raidmax Viper GX - it's dimentions are 539 x 240 x 507mm - it's a pretty big case for a mid tower imo.
I have 4 fans in it - 2 blowing in and 2 blowing out so I think the airflow is pretty decent. The cable management is good as well.
I've tried taking the side off to see if there will be any temperature drops but alas - no difference what so ever.
I'm going to buy the CoolerMaster hyper 212 evo cpu cooler in 2 days so I'm hoping that it will solve the problem..

Kazeone

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
A quick update : I replaced the stock cooler with a CM hyper 212 evo and the max temps im getting now under load (Heaven benchmark 4.0 with fully maxed out settings and an hour of Watch Dogs on ultra settings) are 65 degrees celsius. I think the problem is solved