Intel I7-6700 stuck at 800Mhz

tommiwan

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
I have a custom built computer with an Intel I7-6700 processor and a Gigabyte GA-H170M-DS3H motherboard. When I initially purchased the computer I had this same issue. The CPU was operating at 800Mhz when it should be at 3.4 Ghz. I took it back in and they attempted ro reapply thermal paster a couple times and swapped out the CPU cooler. At some point through those changes it began operating at 3.4Ghz. They thought that the CPU cooler had been tightened down too tight. After they fixed the issue the computer operated properly for over a year. Recently I had to do a hardware issue I have had to reinstall windows and the computer is again operating at 800Mhz.

I see lots of previous threads on here of intel I7-6700s operating at 800Mhz so this is somewhat common. Why would this processor do that? Is it a safe mode type of thing when it detects high temperatures? Is this more likely to be something controlled by my motherboard? If so, is anyone familiar with the Gigabyte BIOS and what settings I should check? Is it possible to overtighten the CPU cooler? Should I attempt to reapply thermal paste? Any help or advice on next troubleshooting steps is appreciated.

Because I had (and fixed) this issue previously, I don't believe that I have a permanent hardware issue. (something that I would need to RMA)

things I've tried:
-Updated BIOS to latest (F22e)
--Reset BIOS to default values
-Updated BIOS to previous version (F22b)
--Reset BIOS to default values
-Set windows power plan to high performance
-Removed and reseated CPU cooler
-CPU temp is 22-25 degrees celcius
-Motherboard does not have a physical "slow" switch

Solution
Try downloading ThrottleStop and use it to disable BD PROCHOT. Sometimes sensors go bad on some motherboards and this will force the CPU to throttle to 800 MHz for no real reason.

tommiwan

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

My BIOS had a setting for CPU thermal monitor. I disabled that but the CPU is still sitting at 800Mhz. Any other ideas?

tommiwan

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

thanks for the answer!! This did fix the problem. I might need to play with the settings more as when I stressed the CPU it got up to about 70 Celsius and the computer shut itself down. I really don't need to overclock anything... I'd just like it to operate at it's normal 3.4ghz. Would you recommend I RMA my motherboard for this issue, or just set throttlestop up to run every time windows starts?

tommiwan

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

thanks for the answer!! This did fix the problem. I might need to play with the settings more as when I stressed the CPU it got up to about 70 Celsius and the computer shut itself down. I really don't need to overclock anything... I'd just like it to operate at it's normal 3.4ghz. Would you recommend I RMA my motherboard for this issue, or just set throttlestop up to run every time windows starts?

tommiwan

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

While reading about throttlestop I read the instructions for how to start it every time windows starts. This would be an acceptable solution, but I would prefer to not have to do that. If you are aware of any other solutions I would love to hear about those.