Intel i7 6700 vs AMD 7 2700x

Jan 16, 2019
Hey folks,

I'm wondering whether I should upgrade my 6700 (non k) to 7 2700x.
Already got CPU cooling and spare mobo (x470).
I've looked at countless threads about similar topics but still asking myself the question. Should I go for it?
I'm mostly gaming and multitasking on my pc

Here is how to think through that solution.
1: Is my current setup fast, reliable, and runs any application or game i need well.
2: do i do a lot of multitasking or multithreaded workloads that would benefit from the 16 threads?
3: is it worth the added money for the additional performance?

The 2700x does perform better in games over the 6700 and just behind the 7700k. The 2700x has 4 more cores and 8 more threads so any workloads such as rendering and encoding should be much faster with dual channel ddr4 over 3000mhz. If the ram from your 6700 system would work well with the 2700x build, i would say to buy it if you need it since the ram and mobo add a lot to the cost of the upgrade, which you save.
All in all If you want more performance in nearly all tasks and an overclockable cpu, and are ready to spend the money for it, i would upgrade. Keep in mind that you dont neer any spare cooler since the 2700x comes with a beefy one.

Jan 16, 2019
I don't mind spending the cash on 7 2700x.
Feels like it will be good and enough for me in a long term. RAM will work as well.
Is the cooling better than Fera 3 HE1224?

What are your complete system specs? I'm just wondering if you might get more performance out of upgrading some other component.

If this were a case of buying one or the other, I would say to go with the 2700X, but it sounds like you are already running the i7-6700 in your system. The 2700X might technically be a little faster and have more cores available, but the differences in terms of performance in today's games should be quite minor, particularly since most current games don't really make heavy use of enough threads to benefit much from those extra cores. And unless you're pairing it with a high-end graphics card, you probably won't notice any significant improvement to frame rates, since today's games tend to be more graphics limited than they are CPU limited. I don't suspect an i7-6700 should have any trouble running today's games rather well.

It's also worth considering that AMD will be launching a new generation of CPUs built on the 7nm manufacturing process, probably around the spring or summer of this year, which will likely improve further upon the gaming performance of their current models. It doesn't sound like your existing processor should be struggling to run current games, so it might potentially be worth holding off a bit on upgrading from that processor.

While that memory is dual channel, you may want to overclock it to see the best performance. That gpu would be a nice pairing with a 2700x. I think the 2700x is a decent improvement in most non gaming tasks. In gaming you will see an improvement since some games are scaling well over 8 or more threads. Some games will see a small improvemen like pubg, however games that are better overall optimized, will show an even greater improvement. Since you have a nonk 6700 you will see a bit more improvement than if you were using a k. Keep in mind you wont see umprovement where the gpu may be the limiting factor.