Nov 20, 2019
My Specs
Intel Core i7-6700K-
Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB
MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A12)
Deepcool Gammaxx L240 v2 cpu cooler
NT-H1 thermal paste which is applied correctly

I get very high temps on one core of my processor core 2(90°C on 100% load while all other cores are like max 70°C), and my cooler has to use fans alot to keep the heat down. I think it is because something is wrong with the thermal paste inside the cpu. Should i de-lid it ?? Or can i keep going like this and maby just upgrade my cpu to not have to deal with the problem? I bought this cooler since with my old one temps were reaching 100°C on idle and throttling constatly, this cooler has fixed the problem but temps are still way higher then they should be. I tried new thermal paste on old cooler before buying this one and that did not work, temps were very high on core 2 and almost normal on the other cores.

Solution
A lot of things to check first.

1)Mounting pressure of the cooler, could be a little low and causing low contact with part of the CPU
However, you reported a similar problem with another cooler, so:
  1. Heatspreader not flat, might have a high or low spot. A good test is to take the CPU out, clean it off and see if it will spin on the heat spreader face down (a high point in the middle). Or place it on a very flat surface, glass, maybe polished stone, and see if you can see light shone from the other side.
  2. Yes, delidding is an option, almost guaranteed to see a temperature drop even if the one core remains warmer. I did so with my 7700k and used normal thermal compound to 're-lid'. My problem core dropped about 7C, and the others...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A lot of things to check first.

1)Mounting pressure of the cooler, could be a little low and causing low contact with part of the CPU
However, you reported a similar problem with another cooler, so:
  1. Heatspreader not flat, might have a high or low spot. A good test is to take the CPU out, clean it off and see if it will spin on the heat spreader face down (a high point in the middle). Or place it on a very flat surface, glass, maybe polished stone, and see if you can see light shone from the other side.
  2. Yes, delidding is an option, almost guaranteed to see a temperature drop even if the one core remains warmer. I did so with my 7700k and used normal thermal compound to 're-lid'. My problem core dropped about 7C, and the others 3, though I wasn't getting into the 90s as much as you seem to be experiencing.

If you can pick up another used 6700k or 7700k on the cheap, worth a shot too.

Solution
Nov 20, 2019
Idle Temps are around 37°c if I remember correctly can check later, my radiator is mounted above the case since it was too big to fit but i don't think that's the problem, had same problem with non watercooled cooler. I will look into someone that will delid it for me in my area. Thx for reply

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Z170 will accept 6th and 7th generation CPUs. 6700k was top of the range. 7700k is more or less identical to the 6700k, just higher clock speeds out of the box. Anything else would be a downgrade.

8700k, and 9700k, despite having the same pin count are not compatible.