[SOLVED] Intel i7 6820hk upgrade to intel i7 8750h alienware 15 r3

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
Good Evening.

Got a dell alienware 15 r3, i7 6820hk gtx1070. The laptop has a broken cpu. I need to reball/reflow the cpu since its own cpu is broken so i removed it from the mainboard .

I have intel i7 8750h in hand. Both cpu's shares the same fcbga1440. Same 14nm. Same tdp 45watt . Same pin/bga count.

Only difference is 8750h is 6core while 6820hk is 4 core.

So the question is.. Will it work on this mainboard. If NO then it is simple as that but if yes then any need to update/modify bios what whatelse...?

Or it will not work..

Thanks and best regards

Last edited:

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
So it means i am lost with 7700hq. Or just give it a try.. or else wait and arrange 6820hk..

On vinafix someone told me that no bios flash is required if chipset support the cpu. According to intel chipset it does supoort both 6th and 7th gen cpu's. .

bignastyid

Titan
So it means i am lost with 7700hq. Or just give it a try.. or else wait and arrange 6820hk..

On vinafix someone told me that no bios flash is required if chipset support the cpu. According to intel chipset it does supoort both 6th and 7th gen cpu's. .
Chipset is only part of the equation. The bios also has to have the correct microcode for the cpu. Even of the chipset is compatible without the microcode the bios won't know how to use the cpu and it will not post.

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
Chipset is only part of the equation. The bios also has to have the correct microcode for the cpu. Even of the chipset is compatible without the microcode the bios won't know how to use the cpu and it will not post.

Thanks alot for your time..

So it means a bios flash is required in order for the laptop/bios to recognise the cpu.

Thats what i was thinking but lacking knowledge. A downgrade should not be a problem but upgrade go through bios upgrade/modification.

Do you think a bios for same model which comes with i7 7700hq would do the job..?

As per dell website. If i want to download bios for my model/service tag then i see there is only one bios which is mentioned as for 15 r3 and 15 r4.. now 15 r3 is i7 6820hk and 15 r4 is i7 7700hq..

So if dell has the same bios for both models then do you not think the existing bios may have the code for i7 7700hq..?

As per this link. Both cpu's has the same bios

https://www.dell.com/support/home/nl-nl/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=f95h1

Please advise...

Greets