Intel i7 8700 reaches 45 degrees in BIOS

callmefin

Commendable
Apr 27, 2018
I recently just finished my first build. I haven't installed windows, so it booted to BIOS and I saw in BIOS that my cpu is 45°c.

I am using:
-Intel i7 8700 with stock cooler (properly mounted!)
-Asrock Fatal1ty H370 Performance
-Galax GTX 1070ti EX
-Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 650w
-16gb DDR4 Geil Evo Spear 2400mhz

Is that temperature normal for an intel i7 with stock cooler? It was just only in BIOS why can it reach 45°c?
Any recommendation for budget nice performance CPU heatsink?

Solution
you are not going to see much cooler idle temps than mid-30's.....the days of the Pentium 3 having 25C temps are long gone....

Run the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility/CPU stress test, or Prime 95 v28.10/default blend....; temps should be about 65-70C, respectively...if under 75C, you should be good...(Prime reads about 63C on my 7700K)

InvalidError

Titan
It depends on your fan speed profile and overall airflow through the CPU area.

The BIOS doesn't have power-saving, so the CPU is basically running at 100% load on one core waiting for user input, which doesn't make BIOS numbers particularly useful beyond seeing whether something may have gone horribly wrong.

Try doing a burn-in test with an OS loaded if you want real numbers.

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Many modern BIOS have a setting for the computer to boot at an idle speed. My BIOS called is POST Performance Mode: MAX Battery or something like that. It now runs the 7700k at 800MHz in the BIOS and nice and cool. It goes normal max OC to 4.9GHz in Windows.

callmefin

Commendable
Apr 27, 2018

I have excellent airflow for my case, the case was open, and it was even under the blow of air conditioner.
My CPU was running at 3200mhz and the RAMs were at 2133mhz. Fans speed were set to performance, about 1200-1300rpm.
Okay, so it means it is normal to see that temperature in BIOS right, I will run another test after installing windows then. Thank you for the explanation, I will update the temperature test result again soon.

i havent seen the new intel coolers. the old coolers with plastic legs and push button always had an issue of not putting the right force on a cpu chip and could work lose or fall off from age. that why higher end units use a back plate and screws. on your cooler make sure it not rocking.

callmefin

Commendable
Apr 27, 2018

I guess the cooler is pretty much the same, plastic legs with push button. That's what happened to me at the first time, installed the fan loosely and the CPU reaches 47,5 celcius in BIOS. I then tightened the fan (I guess it's firm now), and the difference was only like 2-5 celcius. I'll be installing windows 10 tonight, I hope CPU temp won't be a problem.

under normal loads those coolers are fine..under gaming not so much. if you need to put on a larger air cooler spend a little more and dont buy an evo 212. there a pain in the butt to put on. if you dont hit that small aliment pin right the cooler wont fit right on there bracket.

InvalidError

Titan

It was a bit of an ordeal to get it on the first time I dealt with one (212+) but after doing a few of them, I actually love it, no trouble at all once you're used to it. It also looks an order of magnitude more trustworthy than the two tiny screws that fasten the side brackets on most of CM's other HSFs onto the base block... with something like 20:1 leverage between the backplate screws and the block screws, I'd expect the block screws to rip right out.

the factory 8700's bundled cooler is pretty much known for being the equivalent to...well, .... a steaming dung pile....(inadequate for gaming loads for above 50% of most folks)

Many folks experience throttling under moderate gaming loads, so be happy as long as your CPU is not throttling under load...

callmefin

Commendable
Apr 27, 2018

Okay, I have installed Deepcool Gammaxx 400 CPU heatsink. I then went into BIOS again, well the temperature is better: 35-40 degrees celcius (compared to stock cooler: 40-47,5 degrees celcius), although I think it's still quite high, wonder why. Anyways, I have installed windows now, any recommendation of how to see or test my CPU's temp?
Thanks

you are not going to see much cooler idle temps than mid-30's.....the days of the Pentium 3 having 25C temps are long gone....

Run the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility/CPU stress test, or Prime 95 v28.10/default blend....; temps should be about 65-70C, respectively...if under 75C, you should be good...(Prime reads about 63C on my 7700K)

Solution

InvalidError

Titan

My i5-3470 goes down to 28C idle using a fan-less 212+.

Due to background tasks though, my CPU rarely is under less than 10% load and that keeps it at 35-40C.

callmefin

Commendable
Apr 27, 2018

I think I will try Prime95 to stress test tonight, it's the best way to test CPU's temp while idle & under load, right?
Thank you for the information guys. This is my very first time building a PC from scratch, so I was a little bit too much worried about the temp lol.

InvalidError

Titan

For most digital semiconductors, 60-70C is comfy and there isn't much to worry about until about 80C junction temperature. My i5 gets to ~75C under load during warm summer days. Most CPUs from the past 10+ years don't even do thermal throttling (self-preservation) until 90-105C depending on the generation yet you aren't hearing much about people killing their CPUs by simple overheating even when they forget to put the HSF on, when pumps in liquid coolers fail or other similar events where the CPU has almost no cooling whatsoever.

For the most part, desktop CPUs haven't been dying from overheating much in the past 10+ years.

callmefin

Commendable
Apr 27, 2018

I see, I just monitored the CPU's temp for light use / idle and it's only about 28-32 degrees celcius, very relieved. I guess I have installed the HSF properly then (it was tough to push the pins under the fan of the HS). I will do the stress test to see the temp under load tomorrow.