Intel I7-8700K HUGE Price Increase.

Aug 30, 2018
Has anyone else noticied that the I7-8700k has significantly increased in price lately. I was planning to buy one and about 2-3 weeks ago they were at about £300-320, ive checked today and the cheapest you can buy them is £400+

This is really annoying for me because I am building a new pc and I want one but dont want to pay redictulious prices. Does anyone know whats happened and why they have increased in price so much lately. I hope they will fall in price when the 9700k releases. <edited by moderator for language>

Solution
Yes, it was written in the press a lot recently that Intel capacity issues with its 14nm process and that causes a shortage of coffee lake processors. The price went up significantly over the last month. There basically almost back up to the price they were when they launched. The price will fall as soon as they have fixed the capacity problems and they can ship again enough processor to meet demand. I don't think the 9 series launch will really solve this, since they will be higher priced anyway. Intel is working on opening up more manufacturing resources, by moving some chip sets back to the 22nm process and working with additional 3rd party chip manufacturers. The prices will go down again, but probably not within the next few weeks.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Yes, it was written in the press a lot recently that Intel capacity issues with its 14nm process and that causes a shortage of coffee lake processors. The price went up significantly over the last month. There basically almost back up to the price they were when they launched. The price will fall as soon as they have fixed the capacity problems and they can ship again enough processor to meet demand. I don't think the 9 series launch will really solve this, since they will be higher priced anyway. Intel is working on opening up more manufacturing resources, by moving some chip sets back to the 22nm process and working with additional 3rd party chip manufacturers. The prices will go down again, but probably not within the next few weeks.

Solution

warlordjin

Reputable
Feb 12, 2018

depending on what you have currently id wait and see the price difference betwen the new 9700k and current 8700k. i believe the 9700k is coming out oct. 1st. depneding on the price difference it may justify the extra cost. also the new Z390 mobo are releasing with the new cpu's.