Question Intel i7-8700k idling at around 55, hit 99 during TimeSpy benchmark

ethanpenn

Reputable
May 5, 2018
I'm currently in the process of figuring out why my CPU is underperforming so much compared to other 8700k processors. TimeSpy scored it at 7600, where the average is apparently 9600. I figured I'd start with my CPU temps. I had heard that this series of CPUs just "ran hot," but it consistently idles between 50 and 60, usually exactly at 55, and I'm not sure why. I have thermal paste applied, and I haven't changed any settings in the BIOS. No OCing, no XMP (though I don't know if that affects CPU temps), no changes. I've left it as is ever since I built the PC about 4-5 years ago, and I've reapplied thermal paste once. I'm curious if there's a way I can get the temps down further.

Case: Corsair 750D Airflow
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

All fans are the ones that came with the case/cooler. Two intake fans on the front lower and front middle. One exhaust fan on the top back of the case. The CPU fan is blowing through the heatsink toward the rear exhaust fan. Top of the case has no fans, but is open for air to pass through.

Let me know if there's any more information needed.

Last edited:
I'm curious if there's a way I can get the temps down further.
your system-wide cooling can affect the CPU temperatures just as much as the type of thermal paste and CPU cooler you are using.
I'm using a Hyper212 EVO fan
you are using a Cooler Master fan from a Hyper 212 EVO but not the cooler itself?

you need to include your CPU cooler, your case, all system fan's make & model / placement / orientation, etc...

ethanpenn

Reputable
May 5, 2018
Sorry, I updated my original post to include that information. I also dropped it down here.

All fans are the ones that came with the case/cooler. Two intake fans on the front lower and front middle. One exhaust fan on the top back of the case. The CPU fan is blowing through the heatsink toward the rear exhaust fan. Top of the case has no fans, but is open for air to pass through.

ethanpenn

Reputable
May 5, 2018
When was the last time you repasted?

About a year ago. I don't do it too often because the metal mounting bracket on the Hyper 212 Evo is an utter nightmare to get attached to the motherboard compared to some of the bigger fans that don't fit with my RAM like the Noctua one everybody seems to have/like.

Juan Becerra

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013
Hola. Tengo esa cpu, y esa 212 es muy pequeña, no puede con los casi 100w tdp que tiene ese micro. Deberías cambiarlo y poner uno grande, tal vez uno de los más grandes o un enfriamiento líquido mínimo de 240. Tengo un Deepcool assassins 3, que es lo mismo que un Noctua d15. Qué te debe pasar que alcanza tu temperatura Tj y te hace estrangulamiento térmico para protegerte. Todo lo mejor. Espero que la respuesta te sirva y perdona la traducción de Google.

original.png

i would remove the drive trays and 5.25" bays,
and if they've included mesh covers for those drive bays put those in.

add another 140mm to the front.
and add another 140mm to the top-rear.
these aren't the best air coolers and come with some pretty crappy fans.
i would replace the included with 2x higher air pressure fans in push/pull setup.

if temperatures don't drop much then i would replace it with a be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 or a Noctua NH-D15 series.

ethanpenn

Reputable
May 5, 2018
i would remove the drive trays and 5.25" bays,
and if they've included mesh covers for those drive bays put those in.

add another 140mm to the front.
and add another 140mm to the top-rear.

these aren't the best air coolers and come with some pretty crappy fans.
i would replace the included with 2x higher air pressure fans in push/pull setup.

if temperatures don't drop much then i would replace it with a be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 or a Noctua NH-D15 series.

Unfortunately, while I've removed one of the drive bays (it came with 2, each could hold 3 drives), I do have a hard drive in one of the slots right now, and I have a disc drive in one of the 5.25" bays. They did not include mesh covers for them either.

I'll see about ordering some new fans. I'll just grab the Noctua NH-D15 right off the bat, because I hated mounting my Hyper212 anyways. I can't fit both fans because my RAM is really tall sadly, but I can at least get part of the Noctua on I believe.

Where would you install those extra 140mm fans? The case doesn't really have room in the back for anything more since the motherboard sticks up so much as well. And in the front, my disc drive is blocking the only spot that currently doesn't have a fan built in to the case.

Thanks for the help by the way, and sorry for the late reply.

Where would you install those extra 140mm fans?
in your current situation you may not have much option then.

if you already have the two stock intake fans in the front and the stock exhaust in the rear;
you're only option for additional intake would be 1x 120mm in the bottom where one of the drive cages was.
but for additional exhaust you have the entire top open, the best option would be in very far top-rear just above the existing rear exhaust. you can see in the earlier image i provided that even with a radiator+fans there is plenty of room over the motherboard.

do you actually use an optical disc drive anymore?
i haven't had a 5.25" optical in over 10 years now and just have an external USB DVD/Blu-ray for the odd time i may need to burn something for someone, maybe once a year at the very most.

and you could easily replace the HDD with a 2.5" SSD or M.2 and just remove that 2nd drive cage.
an HDD isn't good for much anymore compared to newer technologies but backup/storage anyway so that could be moved to an external location and replaced with a far superior drive.

TRENDING THREADS