Intel i7 8700k vs ryzen 7 1700x

mgaam.arch

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
I am an architect. I work with 3ds max 13 & vray (advance). I do a lot of rendering work and i am comfortable with cpu based rendering. Basically i want a fast processor for rendering. My budget is around 380$ (only for processor). I am confused between these two processors i7 8700k and ryzen 7 1700x. Which one is better for me. Please suggest. You can suggest another processor in this budget. Thanks in advance.

Solution
In general, the 8700K should be faster for CPU based rendering, which you can see comparing the 8700K to the slightly faster 1800X in Tom's Hardware's review here...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-coffee-lake-i7-8700k-cpu,5252-10.html

Note that the "@4.0Ghz" and "@4.9GHz" score are for overclocked performance of each of those CPUs, in case you were considering overclocking. The Ryzen processor may have more cores, allowing it to keep up in cases where a renderer utilizes all of them, but the 8700K clocks higher, and offers slightly more performance per clock, which will tend to help even more in less-heavily threaded software.

The only problem is that the 8700K can be hard to find right now, since Intel rushed the launch...
In general, the 8700K should be faster for CPU based rendering, which you can see comparing the 8700K to the slightly faster 1800X in Tom's Hardware's review here...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-coffee-lake-i7-8700k-cpu,5252-10.html

Note that the "@4.0Ghz" and "@4.9GHz" score are for overclocked performance of each of those CPUs, in case you were considering overclocking. The Ryzen processor may have more cores, allowing it to keep up in cases where a renderer utilizes all of them, but the 8700K clocks higher, and offers slightly more performance per clock, which will tend to help even more in less-heavily threaded software.

The only problem is that the 8700K can be hard to find right now, since Intel rushed the launch of Coffee Lake before they had adequate stock of the chips available.

Solution