Intel i7 8700k vs Ryzen R7 2700x

Aug 1, 2018
Hello guys noobies here
Can someone help me out...i want about to upgrade my cpu between r7 2700x and i7 8700k....my current rig is:

Intel i5 7600k
Gtx 1080 ti
Ram 16gb 3000mhz
1440p 60hz

I play only a game...but sometime i do background process like scan virus,music,copying files and etc...i want upgrade my cpu cuz if i play heavy game like ac origin,batman ak,watch dog 2, my cpu always hited 100% cpu usage....and i dont care about money...i thing i will pick intel...have better ipc but in the same time ryzen r7 2700x offer 2 more core since sometimes background process like nvidia container,msi active,driver found bla bla always mess with me take my 30% of my cpu usage.... Ty...

Solution
Intel = better gaming AMD Ryzen = gaming and content creation ...Overall Better CPU : AMD Ryzen series..

I own AMD Ryzen 7 2700x … My opinion is : Depends on the consumer and there Preference ...Simple.. :)
At this time they are equal for all practical purposes, +/- few% here and there except that AMD system has some more of long range upgrade potential for next couple-3 years. It's all down to preference of platform and eventually budget.
For either one you need a motherboard too of course.

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
Either CPU would be fine for 1440p 60Hz as your listed monitor. If you were going for a much higher refresh rate (like 144+ Hz) i'd recommend the 8700K solely due to it's higher maximum FPS capabilities paired with a GTX 1080 Ti but if you're sticking to less than 120 Hz or so, particularly on 1440p, you should have no issues with CPU not being able to keep up. Because of this i agree Ryzen 2700X might be the better choice due to the longer lasting platform and better multi-threading which might come in handy even if you're primarily gaming. Might be worth waiting to see what's coming with Intel 9th gen, otherwise you can't really go wrong with either. Hope this helps! :)

Aug 1, 2018
emm...waiting is forever to me...if i waiting for intel 9gen... than zen 2 is release....yeah if i pick intel right now..maybe 2H 2019 i need to change my mobo if i want upgrade to ice lake..perharps...btw can ryzen r7 2700x handle all games without drop below 60fps on 1440p?.i see on youtube got fps drop below 60 on ac origin and ffxv but he played on gtx 1080...i dont want get stutering....Also how about temp?right now my i5 oc to 4.5ghz...max tempt near 85c.. pretty high huh....haha...im using aio nzxt kraken x52...i heard intel 8700k is hot too...i dont interested to delid my cpu cuz can void the warranty..than ryzen temp will hot like intel too?

poopstains82

Proper
Jul 6, 2018
Intel = better gaming AMD Ryzen = gaming and content creation ...Overall Better CPU : AMD Ryzen series..

I own AMD Ryzen 7 2700x … My opinion is : Depends on the consumer and there Preference ...Simple.. :)

Solution