Intel i7 950 rig to AMD APU 7890 Rig?

blazblu82

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
Built an Intel rig back in 2011. It has an i7-950, 12 gigs triple channel RAM, 1 TB between 2 HDD's, GTX 960 2 Gb vcard and an ASUS GENE III mobo. It's still a solid PC, but the CPU is falling behind the times. Looking to upgrade and my Dad has an AMD APU rig he barely uses. It's about 1.5 years old. Has a GTX 960 4 Gb vcard, 2 TB hybrid HDD, AMD APU 7890 and Gigabyte mobo. He's asking 400 to 500 bucks for his PC.

My question is, is his PC worth the upgrade? If not, I'll get a Rhyzen CPU on a mini ITX mobo and integrate my existing PSU, HDD's and vcard to new build. Like to upgrade GPU's, too, but they are pricey anymore.

Thanks in advance!

blazblu82

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, I've seen the specs for both CPU's and I am quite shocked my 7 year old CPU can keep up. Even more so the CPU sells for $399 or more still. However, I haven't been successful in overclocking it. My mobo tends to freak out when I try to OC, lol! But, I may not know what I am doing either.

Thanks again!

blazblu82

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018

Already got a water cooler on it. Sad thing about that guide is I don't how much of that software will run on Win 10 and I really don't want to risk frying the CPU. I may just go forth with a mini ITX Rhyzen build. At least the PCIE slot will be better than the 1x on my current mobo and the technologies will be current. I'd like another intel build, but they are too expensive for my budget.

Thanks again!

blazblu82

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018

So, if I were to buy his rig, what should I offer for it?

Water cooled AMD A10-7890K APU
16 Gb RAM
2 TB Hybrid HDD
4 Gb GTX 960 GPU
Gigabyte mini itx mobo (unknown model)

Thanks!

blazblu82

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018

I OC'd the CPU to an i7 Extreme @ 3.8 GHz using mobo's preset values and temps topped out to 60 degrees C while playing GTAV. Whole system seems more responsive. I def want to upgrade the HDD's to at least a pair of SSHDD's in a RAID 0 setup.

Also, what is it about my setup that has allowed it to withstand the past 7 years without upgrading anything but the video card and still manages to play current games decently? It just blows my mind that I haven't needed to replace my rig yet.

Thanks!

i would not buy "apu 7890" system at all .

those core intel processors were revolutionary
since that time every new generation brought just about 5-10% more performance .
that is the main reason why they lasted for so long .
and AMD was not able to really compete since i5 2500K times so intel was not forced to bring anything new .
intels 2nd-3th gen core processors are only just now finally starting to show their advanced age because
amd made ryzen and intel finally brought 6 cores and 12 threads to mainstream (coffe lake i5/i7 processors)

blazblu82

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018

Good info! Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS