Intel I7-970 locked?

Blaine Brasington

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
I bought an ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME motherboard, an ASUS GTX 560 Direct CU II video card, an I-7 970 processor, a VIGOR Monsoon III LT heatsink, 3 x Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 4GB DDR3 RAM, and after i put it all in my Thermaltake Level 10 GT BATTLE EDITION case and when i turn it on the lcd display thing connected to the motherboard says locked so I asked ASUS Technical support what does locked mean and they told me "Locked refers to the CPU and the multiplier as being locked." I contacted Intel about what to do and I've yet to get a response so how do you unlock the CPU when the computer wont even start to boot up?

The multiplier being locked doesnt have a thing to do with it not being able to boot. If you bought this used, get your money back. A locked multiplier only has to do with overclocking capability. Not whether it boots or not. Take out the CMOS battery and reset the CMOS on the motherboard and try booting again. Do some research, asking Intel isnt going to solve anything. Id be surprised if they would even reply to a question like that. Especially on a CPU thats 4 years old.

Kelthar

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
(I unselected vrumor's answer as solution because the topic isn't solved, maybe other users can help out with this. Once the problem is solved I'll re-pick it as solution)

Have you tried a CMOS reset? It might have a button (or a jumper) to perform a reset. If it doesn't, unplug it in the back and take out the CMOS battery for 5 to 10 minutes.

Blaine Brasington

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013

Yeah and it didn't change the LCD display still says locked

Kelthar

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Get a replacement for your motherboard.

The motherboard is legitimate (not stolen) and you are its first user, correct? There are motherboards which lock up as a security measure.

If it is a legitimate motherboard, contact ASUS again. Tell them your motherboard is saying it is locked and it is rendered useless, that you can't even access BIOS or boot up an OS, all it'll display is "locked". That's a completely different thing from having locked multipliers.