[SOLVED] Intel i7-9700k overheating

Dec 16, 2020
Recently while trying to fix my FPS in BOCW I noticed on every program I check (MSI, HWMonitor,CPU-Z) I'm running at 70c+ as soon as I boot my computer up and whenever I do anything it will pretty much cap out immediately to 100c
I haven't had any crashes or really any giveaways that it was overheating, I don't feel any hot air coming out and I have tried cleaning out dust.
Build:

CPU: Intel i-7 9700k 3.60 GHz (8 CPUs)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
Mobo: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-IB

CPU-Z Benchmark: https://valid.x86.fr/jzjw8w

Solution
What other fans are in your case? Typically, you'd have 1 or more 120mm or 140mm fans in the front of your case as intake, and a fan in the back of the case as exhaust. You may also have a couple of exhaust fans at the top of your case too. So, if you're "feeling for hot air coming out", make sure you're feeling at the back of the case where the exhaust fan is, or at the top of the case if you have fans there.
If your CPU really is overheating it can only be the CPU cooler that is not properly installed or the thermal paste especially if it goes to 100C. It isn't just the airflow that is bad in your case or something like that. Check the CPU cooler.

Dec 16, 2020
The fan seems to be working fine from the outside, one thing I've noticed on HWMonitor is the CPU fan is constantly running at 3x the speed of every other fan, with below 5% utilization on idle I still have 65c+ and doing pretty much anything will bump it up fast.

Nov 28, 2020
The fan seems to be working fine from the outside, one thing I've noticed on HWMonitor is the CPU fan is constantly running at 3x the speed of every other fan, with below 5% utilization on idle I still have 65c+ and doing pretty much anything will bump it up fast.
so ur cpu fan is always below 5 percent? and u get 65+ c on idle?

Nov 28, 2020
It's running at 3100 RPM+ 100% of the time I'm unsure if that's the max though
check if the cpu cooler is placed properly. I dont know if asrock has a software but check the temps when ur on bios. and touch around the socket on mobo to see if its actually hot. i had it before. it was just windows showing it was like 90c and nothing was hot at all

What other fans are in your case? Typically, you'd have 1 or more 120mm or 140mm fans in the front of your case as intake, and a fan in the back of the case as exhaust. You may also have a couple of exhaust fans at the top of your case too. So, if you're "feeling for hot air coming out", make sure you're feeling at the back of the case where the exhaust fan is, or at the top of the case if you have fans there.

Solution

Adam65

Great
Nov 29, 2020
Change thermal paste again. And the CPU fan, I don't use fans in my computer, idles at 20 degrees. Either you installed the cpu cooler faulty or the CPU cooler is dead. Try using another cooler if possible. And don't go cheap on thermal pastes, at least use MX4 for thoose CPU's

Again, what is the make/model of the cpu cooler and what is the make model of your case. ???
What is the fan arrangement?
Any cooler needs a source of fresh air to let it do it's job.

Dumb question:
Did you remove the protective mylar film from the cpu cooler base before installing it?