[SOLVED] Intel i7 9700k vs AMD Ryzen 7 3700x

aryanmirdha10

Reputable
Dec 21, 2017
Solution
There's no "heating issues" with Ryzen's Im aware of, in fact the only CPU on the market that is really notoriously hot is the 9900K

Between the two I would get the 3700X. The motherboards are cheaper and you get a decent cooler right in the box and I think AMD still has one more generation on the AM4 socket. Also with the Intel you only get 8 core 8 thread since Intel removed Hyper-threading from their i7s. Now Hyper-threading isn't the most important thing for gaming but if you plan on doing streaming and gaming or other multi-threaded tasks you'll want the 16 threads of the 3700X.

The 3800X is a rip off, basically you pay 20% more for a couple of % more performance that you can get through overclocking.
There's no "heating issues" with Ryzen's Im aware of, in fact the only CPU on the market that is really notoriously hot is the 9900K

Between the two I would get the 3700X. The motherboards are cheaper and you get a decent cooler right in the box and I think AMD still has one more generation on the AM4 socket. Also with the Intel you only get 8 core 8 thread since Intel removed Hyper-threading from their i7s. Now Hyper-threading isn't the most important thing for gaming but if you plan on doing streaming and gaming or other multi-threaded tasks you'll want the 16 threads of the 3700X.

The 3800X is a rip off, basically you pay 20% more for a couple of % more performance that you can get through overclocking.

Solution

aryanmirdha10

Reputable
Dec 21, 2017

Im actually not planning to stream games or doing any overclocking on my CPU or GPU. My only needs are high end gaming and some college project stuffs

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
With the cost of motherboard, memory, and cooler, the Intel build will be more expensive.

The heating issue is one big misunderstanding. Basically, the Ryzen chips behave differently from Intel's, and the warmer idle temperatures have caught some people by surprise.

I picked the 3700x for my own system. Intel only has any noticeable lead in gaming if running 1080p with a high end gpu. At higher resolutions or more mainstream gpu’s the difference is negligible and the 3700x is better at everything else.

So what resolution and Hz is your monitor and what gpu will it be paired with?

aryanmirdha10

Reputable
Dec 21, 2017
I picked the 3700x for my own system. Intel only has any noticeable lead in gaming if running 1080p with a high end gpu. At higher resolutions or more mainstream gpu’s the difference is negligible and the 3700x is better at everything else.

My GPU is Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Windforce OC 8GB. And i havnt decided on a new monitor yet

aryanmirdha10

Reputable
Dec 21, 2017

Sry not Windforce OC, the Gaming OC, the 3 fan one

My GPU is Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Windforce OC 8GB. And i havnt decided on a new monitor yet
I doubt you will see any material difference with either cpu. You are far more likely to be gpu limited than cpu limited. As I mentioned I went 3700x when faced with the same decision. For gaming I am running 1440p 144Hz with a 2080 Super and I am completely gpu limited with my gpu sat at 99-100% in my games. I’m very happy with my choice and hope it will be a better long term option.

aryanmirdha10

Reputable
Dec 21, 2017
I doubt you will see any material difference with either cpu. You are far more likely to be gpu limited than cpu limited. As I mentioned I went 3700x when faced with the same decision. For gaming I am running 1440p 144Hz with a 2080 Super and I am completely gpu limited with my gpu sat at 99-100% in my games. I’m very happy with my choice and hope it will be a better long term option.
So shud i go with Ryzen 3700x with RTX 2070 Super? Cause im getting 2070 Super at the same price as 2060 Super

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/hBqv2uJ

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/nEB2wTr

So shud i go with Ryzen 3700x with RTX 2070 Super? Cause im getting 2070 Super at the same price as 2060 Super

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/hBqv2uJ

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/nEB2wTr
For the same price I’d always pick the stronger gpu. If you use 1080p and go up to a 2070 Super you could see a benefit of a 9700k over the 3700X, at 1440p there won’t be a difference. If it was my own build I’d still pick the 3700X, I really feel having the extra threads makes it a better long term buy. However you could easily justify going the 9700k route. Ultimately they are so close in gaming even in the scenario that favours Intel they both will do an excellent job. There is no bad/wrong choice as we don’t know the future and which will age better.

If running 1080p or 1440p I would expect your monitor to be high Hz and not 60Hz. All this is irrelevant if only going to run 60Hz.

aryanmirdha10

Reputable
Dec 21, 2017
With the cost of motherboard, memory, and cooler, the Intel build will be more expensive.

The heating issue is one big misunderstanding. Basically, the Ryzen chips behave differently from Intel's, and the warmer idle temperatures have caught some people by surprise.
For the same price I’d always pick the stronger gpu. If you use 1080p and go up to a 2070 Super you could see a benefit of a 9700k over the 3700X, at 1440p there won’t be a difference. If it was my own build I’d still pick the 3700X, I really feel having the extra threads makes it a better long term buy. However you could easily justify going the 9700k route. Ultimately they are so close in gaming even in the scenario that favours Intel they both will do an excellent job. There is no bad/wrong choice as we don’t know the future and which will age better.

If running 1080p or 1440p I would expect your monitor to be high Hz and not 60Hz. All this is irrelevant if only going to run 60Hz.
Sry i misunderstood the Amazon title its RTX 2070 not 2070 Super that im getting for the same price as Gaming OC. Id say Gaming OC is better and will go for it. Also yea seems Ryzen 7 3700x is the better choice