Intel i7-9750h Thermal throttling, undervolting issues.

Oct 28, 2021
Laptop: MSI GP65 Leopard 9SD
CPU: I7-9750h
BIOS version: E16U1IMS.101 (lowest version)

Hello community, so once again i encounter thermal throttling issue while gaming. About a year ago i was able to solve it with throttlestop by undervolting cpu. I did a break from the games and now started playing again. But undervolting seems not working anymore.
I was trying undervolting in BIOS and in throttlestop program. HWmonitor sees undervolting values by doing it in both ways but the system doesn't seem to react to it, i can put -1000values to it, FIVR and HWmonitor window see that values but no performance impact on the system.

Things i have done:
Reset BIOS
Downgrade BIOS
Upgrade BIOS
CPU overclocking options enable in BIOS
Undervolting in BIOS
Undervolting in Throttlestop

I see the solution that might windows reinstall would help, but i have too many important files, that i cant try this option. Want to mention again that i was able to undervolt using throttlestop about a year ago.
3d36b447c28155388298ca09fba479ce601.png

Last edited:
Hey there,

It's my understanding that anything above -250mv will be ignored by CPU anyway.

I have the same CPU in my laptop, which is at home. When I get back Ill confirm my settings. To me, it looks as if your settings may be wrong.

Ill get back to you with my settings later after 6pm.

Have you any MSI related apps that change performance profiles, like Max CPU performance or such? If so, uninstall them as they can interfere with TS settings. Same with Intel XTU.

Oct 28, 2021
Hey there,

It's my understanding that anything above -250mv will be ignored by CPU anyway.

I have the same CPU in my laptop, which is at home. When I get back Ill confirm my settings. To me, it looks as if your settings may be wrong.

Ill get back to you with my settings later after 6pm.

Have you any MSI related apps that change performance profiles, like Max CPU performance or such? If so, uninstall them as they can interfere with TS settings. Same with Intel XTU.
Hey, thanks for your answer, but this isn't my undervolt settings. I just showed that i can go as far as the program lets. After a year ago my settings was about -150 on core and -60 on chase, and i got about 75-85 average temp. But now it seems that system doesn't react to any changes i make, doesn't matters if its -50 -200 or -1000. No difference i temps no difference in performance and no pc crash of too high undervolt. It doesn't matter if i undervolt in BIOS or in throttlestop.
Don't have other cpu performance programs only throttlestop

Thanks for the update.

Hmm that's a touch one. Some manufacturers have locked undervolting. I don't think MSI is one of them.

Have you tried resetting TS? Go to the TS folder, cut the .ini file and place it outside of the TS folder. Then shut down the laptop. Then restart it, and put the saved .ini back into the TS folder. See if that helps. Alternatively, just delete the .ini altogether and reconfigure from scratch.

Presumably you are doing regular cleaning of heatsinks/fans? Laptop cooling pad? Also consider thermal paste replacement.

Oct 28, 2021
Thanks for the update.

Hmm that's a touch one. Some manufacturers have locked undervolting. I don't think MSI is one of them.

Have you tried resetting TS? Go to the TS folder, cut the .ini file and place it outside of the TS folder. Then shut down the laptop. Then restart it, and put the saved .ini back into the TS folder. See if that helps. Alternatively, just delete the .ini altogether and reconfigure from scratch.

Presumably you are doing regular cleaning of heatsinks/fans? Laptop cooling pad? Also consider thermal paste replacement.
Thanks for some ideas.
Well i don't think too that msi could lock it. I was able to undervolt some time ago, but now i can't. I take your advice and cleaned fans and replaced thermal paste and yes as it's gaming laptop i'm using cooling pad. After cleaning there is no temp difference. But still i can't undervolt it. I can reduce power via TS TPL but then i lose performance too so this is not way out.
I tried every BIOS version from first version to the latest. Well i don't think it's BIOS issue. HWmonitor and other monitoring tools sees undervolt values. But the system itself seems to working without undervolt values temps still getting on full load to 93-99 and i'm getting thermal throttling.
Maybe windows update pushed something who is blocking undervolting? As i know it's the issue with 10th gen CPU's
What should be PL1 and PL2 values for this CPU, because originally mine is set to 200 on both.

Last edited:
Pull it apart and repast the CPU, I bought a MSI GT60 laptop a while back. Sadly even though its MSI and they should know better they did a $h!ty job with the thermal past, it was plastered all over their forum pages.

Even with their turbo fan button the laptop would thermal throttle, pulled the back cover off and repasted the CPU and GPU and haven't had an issue since.

Thanks for some ideas.
Well i don't think too that msi could lock it. I was able to undervolt some time ago, but now i can't. I take your advice and cleaned fans and replaced thermal paste and yes as it's gaming laptop i'm using cooling pad. After cleaning there is no temp difference. But still i can't undervolt it. I can reduce power via TS TPL but then i lose performance too so this is not way out.
I tried every BIOS version from first version to the latest. Well i don't think it's BIOS issue. HWmonitor and other monitoring tools sees undervolt values. But the system itself seems to working without undervolt values temps still getting on full load to 93-99 and i'm getting thermal throttling.
Maybe windows update pushed something who is blocking undervolting? As i know it's the issue with 10th gen CPU's
What should be PL1 and PL2 values for this CPU, because originally mine is set to 200 on both.

On my HP Omen, the default PL1/PL2 were 90/90w. This is too high. Prob set this high to ensure absolutely no throttling.

However, most of the times I set it at 60/70. My CPU pdoes not draw more than 65w CPU under any load, including Cinebench, heavy gaming. The only time 65w isn't enough is if I were to run Prime95 or something which would push PL2 needs higher than 70w.

Did you reset TS as outlined?

Pull it apart and repast the CPU, I bought a MSI GT60 laptop a while back. Sadly even though its MSI and they should know better they did a $h!ty job with the thermal past, it was plastered all over their forum pages.

Even with their turbo fan button the laptop would thermal throttle, pulled the back cover off and repasted the CPU and GPU and haven't had an issue since.
Note: OP has just said he has done that in his last post.

Thanks for some ideas.
I have a Dell G5 with the same cpu. Newer BIOS versions which the Dell software was setup to install automatically lock out undervolting. It was a response to a security weakness. I managed to get undervolting working again by rolling back to an older BIOS and the resetting all settings to default, if I did not do the reset to default process it still didn’t unlock undervolting. I have also switched off Dell updates.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Oct 28, 2021
You could try a good quality paste, like TG Kryo, Noctua NT H1. Both really good. I've the Noctua on my CPU/GPU temps at 4ghz all core are about 80-83c gaming on BF V for a couple of hours. Good paste can make a big difference.
I'll try TG Kryo.
When i get it delivered and repaste it, i'm going to let you know with results. Hope this will solve it ;)

Nov 1, 2021
Repaste is a good idea and may be helpful.

But there was another wired way maybe you should try, that was to disable Virtualization function in BIOS menu and disable Hyper-V function in Windows settings.

In my case, I had a ThinkPad X1 Extreme which got 8750H CPU. When Virtualization and Hyper-V were enabled, the temperature limit would be around 80c, and when these functions were disabled, the throttle would begin at around 100c. It worked with my ThinkPad, I don't know if it will work with any other laptop.

So disable Virtualization may not make your laptop cooler, but maybe you can get more performance at high CPU temperature.

Hey, i'm back with results. Replaced thermal paste and TG Kryo dropped my temps to 85 on full load without any power or turbo locking.
Wihoo!!! 😀 Excellent!

Now that thermals are under control, look to push your undervolt a little more. Keep your cache undervolt to a max of -121mv, and see how far you can push the core. According to Uncleweb (TS author) roughly halving the cache v core can yield best results for I7 9750h. Mine has been rock solid at cache -121, core -221, igpu -48. It might get you down to low 80's , or high 70's.

Also, try your PL1/PL2 at 65/75. My chip never asks for more than 65 at full pelt (Cinebench, BF V 2 hour session) 75 should be plent, but if you finds it throttles, then maybe 90/90, but no need for 200.

Close the thread out by choosing an answer as the solution. If you need any help with undervolting, drop me a PM. :)

darin.carvalho

Reputable
Sep 21, 2018
Hey, i'm back with results. Replaced thermal paste and TG Kryo dropped my temps to 85 on full load without any power or turbo locking.
Since I noticed you mention an MSI Laptop, let me add in something important. (I own an MSI GF65Thin so I know how these work lol)

MSI Laptops usually soft-lock voltage changes/over/underclocking through a BIOS setting. To change this you have to:
  1. Enter bios and activate the Advanced (hidden) settings . To do this, Hold ALT, Hold Right Control, Hold Shift, And Press F2.
  2. Find the Overclocking settings under CPU Settings
  3. Enable what will probably be labeled as XTU Interface.

You might find other clock and thermal related settings in here such as "Enable Intel Speed Shift", feel free to toggle these at your discretion.
Throttlestop's voltage offsets (and Intel eXtreme Tuning Utility's, for that matter) will only actually affect your system once you toggle this BIOS setting.

Try this and let me know if it worked.